Kitchen remodeling idea

Old 11-12-17, 05:49 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen remodeling idea

Hi All,

I hope I am posting this in the right forum, I do apologise if I haven't chose the right place for this type of question.

I just bought a house and have a kitchen with built-in under counter fridge and freezer units. They are very small and don't work for my nor my wife. As a result we have bought a separate american style fridge-freezer unit.

So now that we have that separate unit, I of course want to get rid of the built-in appliances, sell them for a fraction of their cost and convert the two slots into a storage area (Preferably not drawers but fit a door with a single shelf in the middle behind it. Picture of the two slots attached.

I have two front panels from the fridge and freezer units and I would like to convert them into doors. Is this possible at all and if so how would I do it?
I'm not the wisest person when it comes to DIY however I can follow instructions so would greatly appreciate advise on how difficult would it be to convert these two slots into shelving units?

Thanks,
Arturs.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-17, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Installing shelves is pretty straightforward. Install cleats [1x2s] on the sides and back then cut the shelf to fit and rest on the cleats. How much weight do you expect to set on the shelves? cans will need a beefier shelf/support than dry goods. Do you intend to leave it open or do you need to put doors on the front?

Old 11-12-17, 06:04 AM
W
Hi Mark.

It will probably be a mixture of things
Cans, pans, bottles etc so I expect quite a bit of weight there
I do require the door. My wife (The boss lol) said that if I cannot fit the doors back then might as well put the built-in units back lol

I have the front panels from the units (https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApNC15HKvPFUhrxvlSHuXS1kr67OOQ) however they do not have any holes for hinges as normal doors do for any other unit. Also, the doors would not have the support from the other side (Sorry, I'm not English so not sure how certain things are called )

Fitting of shelves do not worry me at all to be fair. It's the fitting of the doors that scare me big time.

Thanks,
Arturs.

Old 11-12-17, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Study how the other doors are installed, these would basically install the same way. You'll probably have to build some type of face frame to install the hinges to on the cabinet.

Old 11-12-17, 08:57 AM
W
Already have mate This is the reason why I don't think it's going to be as straight forward.
So the other side of a normal door would have a hinge hole whilst the ones I removed from the appliance are simply straight without any holes in them. I mean like absolutely nothing
I could get a hinge cutter which to be fair costs pennies but then I still have this issue with face frame. How do I build one? Sorry if these are completely dumb questions but like what measurements would I take? Not quite sure where to start with it

Old 11-12-17, 09:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Study how the face frame is built/attached on your other cabinets. You would either duplicate or do something similar on this cabinet.

Old 11-12-17, 12:09 PM
If you want to build a face frame you should purchase a Kreg Jig, here's a link and most home stores sell the jigs. You will need a drill and preferably a miter saw: https://www.kregtool.com/store/c13/kreg-jigsreg/

It's possible to attach the doors without a face frame, the hinges will attach to the existing side panels.
Here are two links. You need a hinge called a partial wrap or a full wrap. Check out the different types of hinges available. No boring required.

270° Overlay Hinge | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
Urn Tip Full Back-to-Back Wrap-Around Inset Hinges | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Old 11-25-17, 10:57 AM
W
Sorry I haven't responded to this thread for a while, thought that I should reply

I bought a cheap £25 face frame which includes legs.
Had to do some sawing however it's in there at the end.
Not the prettiest unit however I'm happy with my first ever DIY work

Thank you all for your help and advise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: