Any other power/communication utilities close to house foundation?

Old 10-07-17, 03:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Any other power/communication utilities close to house foundation?

I'm working on a termite prevention project where I have already dug trenching around the outside perimeter of house. I have a single level stucco house. I attached a couple photos below. You can see where the CATV, electricity and phone lines go into the house through conduit, etc. In the foreground are the phone and utility boxes or whatever they call them. I assume these utilities go in a straight line to those utility boxes from attachment points at house?

I ask because I need to bore rod holes a few ft or so down into trench all along foundation to deliver termiticide. Is that photo the only place I need to worry about power or communications lines close to foundation?. There are no additional add-on structures or electrical/communication utilities attached to house.

I did unearth (but not damage) a couple electrical wires for the irrigation system at the foundation. But I'm not concerned with this because the irrigation system is inoperative and I never plan to repair it.

In the other photo, what is that painted over wire or cable looking thing that is broken? Is it some type of electrical cable or building material from original house construction?

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-17, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I assume these utilities go in a straight line to those utility boxes from attachment points at house?
That is not an assumption you can make.

As far as utilities.... you have gas and water too.
You can call and have everything marked out ahead of time.

Old 10-07-17, 03:52 PM
B
No gas service to worry about. Plumber advised me on water lines in the past.

But I'll call the utilities hot line Monday to see how much it costs to have them mark the areas. Never used the service before.

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 10-07-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 04:37 PM
B
I learned online today there can be a huge fine if you neglect to notify the local authority before you dig. I didn't know much about this requirement. If they see my foundation trench when they come out to mark utility locations are they going to make a federal case? The trench is not that deep and I didn't make deeper bore holes yet. I didn't cause any damage to utility lines either. I guess I was concerned when i saw the termite sign. So I rushed in to get started not even thinking about local regulations.

Old 10-08-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The huge fine comes when you hit a utility and they have to come out to make the repair. They will not fine you for digging, but you might get a little talking to.

It does not make any sense to not call before you dig. It is a free service provided by the utilities. Call now to have your stuff marked. I think 811 is the national number.

Old 10-08-17, 07:53 PM
B
The other day I was asking how much this service cost. Where the hell have I been? I was reading state code regarding excavation. Technically, they can fine you just for digging even if no damage. But this only applies if you were digging on private property utility easement. I'll call the private company that runs the free marking service for the state.

Old 10-10-17, 10:35 AM
B
Talked to the state agency that regulates digging and excavating. They said I don't have to worry about a fine as long as I use the free utility marking service before I do any more work.

Old 10-10-17, 12:02 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I expect the service may vary from location to location, but in my area they mark only what has been recorded when installed. In other words, with older locations they may not mark everything. I mention this just so you will proceed with caution. The good part is, if you have called and something pops up and gets damaged you are covered (I think).

Bud

Old 10-10-17, 03:52 PM
B
Absolutely Bud. I will proceed cautiously. I'll still have a few questions for the lady at the state agency even after the locating is done.

The free utility marking service does not include service line and sewer main which they call private facilities. Why aren't those included in the free service? Didn't the utility company install those items when the property was developed? I guess now this means I have to pay a private utility locator to mark the those items.

Old 10-13-17, 06:49 PM
B
The blue stake utility locate is complete. And after talking to water services engineering at City Hall, I know that service line and lateral sewer won't conflict with this job.

So I made a few test holes in the trench while I am waiting for the Taurus SC to be delivered. I made the holes maybe 5 inches from the foundation wall and then hit something solid. I dug down to the obstruction and attached the photo.

Is that the footing? Because if it is, I'm really surprised. I thought footings were much deeper underground. That concrete structure is only 21.5 inches below the bottom of stucco wall.

I guess I should make my termite holes further from the foundation wall......correct?

I wasn't sure what forum category this update applies to. So I posted in termite section so moderator can decide which one to delete

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-17, 02:42 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It probably is the footing. Footings only need to be below the frost line which may very well be 24 inches , or less, in your area. In my area they only need to be 12 inches deep. Further, that depth requirement is to the bottom of the footing.

Old 10-14-17, 06:57 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not a pro on this, but that concrete looks a long ways to the side for it to be a footing. A 24" wide footing with an 8 or 10" wall on top would leave only 7 or 8 inches on each side. Perspective may be fooling me or it may be a much wider footing.

Bud

Old 10-14-17, 09:00 AM
B
I can't think of anything it could be other than the footing. It seems to be well formed and flat. The termite forum says it's good to place the termiticide holes right above the footer (if that is what it is).

I'm likely to strike that footer repeatedly when making rod holes. I'm not likely to damage that footer when pounding rod holes with a piece of rebar am I? Of course, I'll try not to apply to much force anyway when pounding the holes.

Old 10-16-17, 04:58 PM
B
I finished the part of my termite prevention project that deals with the perimeter trench, foundation wall, and bath trap void.

Now I just have to drill holes through concrete pads and garage floor. I already own a hammer drill and a concrete drill bit. I'll give this more thought before I do anything.

Old 12-04-17, 11:49 AM
B
Let's consider this discussion closed to avoid wasting anyone's time. When I'm ready to drill the concrete holes, I'll know what to do. Thanks, everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: