Old 12-12-17, 09:07 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
My First Tough Pot Roast

08-07-07, 05:36 PM #8
Baldwin
This Will NEVER Be Dry

Unfortunately I have to take that back.

Our one and only grocery store closed a couple years ago so the ex picked me up a nice 3# pot roast from Walmart ()

Cooked this just like a hundred times before and it was sorta tough and dryish. Marbling looked okay, not sure what to think. New stove but the potatoes were done in the usual time so I don't think that is it.

I did the usual 3 hours @ 325° with a can of beef broth, could it be under cooked? My Zup's roasts would come out in a few pieces, this was just one big piece. Under cooked or just some tough meat?

Only thing I can think of is put it back in the dutch oven with another can of broth and simmer it a while and see what happens?

Any thoughts on that? If nothing else I'll just cube it up and make a giant Skillet Hash.

Thanks

Old 12-12-17, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I salt and pepper it, then brown it on all sides. I put enough broth to cover it half way, then cook it at a lower heat (275), covered for about 3 hours for a 3 pounder.
I don't think you have enough liquid, but could be the meat, too.
I would just add more liquid and leave it in longer.

Old 12-12-17, 11:37 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have been making my pot roast the same way for years. Three hours sounds about right for a 3 lb roast but IMO Shadieladie is right on with the lower temp and more liquid. For a 3 pound roast I use 3-4 cups of stock (enough to almost cover the meat) and a cup of red wine.

Old 12-12-17, 01:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I cut my roast up into smaller pieces before browning in a fry pan and then into the roasting pan. Several cans of broth and 325 degrees for at least 2 1/2 hours or longer. I think you just need to cook it longer to get the collagen to breakdown and soften.

Old 12-12-17, 01:51 PM
B
Oh boy, I think this could be an oven problem after a little experiment. Like you people I've made dozens of roasts the same way and they were good till yesterday, I made it yesterday afternoon.

1) preheat to 325
2) 2" of hot water in a covered 7" x 7" glass dish
3) after 50 minutes the water temp was only 208

This can't be right. After the oven had cycled I waited a bit. It took less than 15 seconds to open the door to check the temp with my Weber digital... 208°

I'll have to check my manual and then the appliance section and maybe Pete will have something.

I'm gonna follow her advice and cook it a little longer tonight.

Thanks again.

Old 12-12-17, 01:55 PM
B
I think you just need to cook it longer...

I think so too after taking the oven temperature. Geezz, that thing is only a couple years old.

Thanks

tick-tock-tick-tock

Old 12-12-17, 02:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Bringing new meaning to the phrase - "Low and Slow"

Is it an electric oven? May be able to order a new heating element.

Old 12-12-17, 02:07 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
1) preheat to 325
2) 2" of hot water in a covered 7" x 7" glass dish
3) after 50 minutes the water temp was only 208
Eh, water can only get to 212 at sea level, MN is about 1-2k feet elevation, 208 sounds about right.

Cooking with low heat and high humidity converts collagen to jello, and connnective tissue into flavor.

Worst case, treat it like a roast-pork sandwich, slice it thin, marinade it low and slow.

Old 12-12-17, 02:25 PM
B
Eh, water can only get to 212 at sea level, MN is about 1-2k feet elevation, 208 sounds about right.

Okay, now that is something I didn't know and thanks. Do you happen to know of a good way to check if the oven is going to the correct temperature? I tried pointing my infrared gun in there but the numbers were all over the place.

Czzizzi, this is a Kenmore natural gas range, nothing fancy.

Old 12-12-17, 03:19 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 49 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Red meat definitely is NOT Wally World's strong suit. I have tried a couple of times to make a roast from meat I've bought from them, and all were dismal failures. We have a small independent grocer (Al's Foodliner) that sells the best cow in town. I use their roasts without fear in Osso Buco so serve to guests when we eat in the billiard room. You know the "billiard room," the one with the pot-passing sticks?
[/Beverly Hillbillies reference]

Old 12-12-17, 04:37 PM
B
Red meat definitely is NOT Wally World's strong suit.

I've never stepped foot in one and never will, just too many issues for me. Oh wait--if John Candy is there I might go. Yes, I do remember the pot-passing sticks.

We have a small independent grocer (Al's Foodliner) that sells the best cow in town.
We had Zups till our taconite mine went bankrupt a while back. Small town with aging people, it was a slow bleed and they finally closed. This says 6 stores but is sadly only 5 now.

http://zups.com/zups-history

I'm gonna do like the others say and slow cook it a little more in a moment with beef broth. If this doesn't work out I'll put the one in the freezer in my crock pot for 4-5 days.

Thanks all.

Old 12-12-17, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Red meat definitely is NOT Wally World's strong suit.
As a rule, I have to agree, but at the same time...one of the best non-butcher shop ribeyes I ever cooked and ate came from there...it was even on clearance (to me that means aged...to her that means old). I won't buy any of their other stuff except name brand chicken and pork items. I mean come on...2 small young roasters perfect for boiling and picking off all the meat then freezing for tacos, enchiladas, salads, etc...for about 2/3 the price of one medium roaster at any of the groceries. The same racks of Smithfield ribs for almost half? Yep, sorry, Safeway, Smiths and Basha's lose...but I shop there for plenty of other stuff.

As to the roast...well, I always cook mine in my old Westbend Slow Cooker...on high for 1 hr, then down to 4 for about 2 1/2 more. Broth about 1/2 way up the roast, turn it once when I change the temp. At least with the cooker, it's super easy to test the meat.

Old 12-13-17, 05:39 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have an inexpensive oven thermometer that I use to check oven temps.

Old 12-13-17, 06:23 PM
B
Last night I let it simmer in broth for about 40 minutes until it finally seemed somewhat tender. Under cooked for sure.

Remembered I had a meat thermometer that can go in the oven and it was right on so oven isn't the problem.

So, this cut of meat isn't what I was used to after 40 years at our store.

Thanks everyone Roast in the freezer will go for skillet hash.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: