Rodent Zappers

Old 12-17-17, 02:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rodent Zappers

Hey All.
I am looking to buy some of those rodent zappers off Amazon. Brand new they are over $50 but the used ones are half that. Can I buy used?
Also, how do I waterproof them? I see all of them say “For Use Outdoors” but then also say to waterproof them...
Thank you!!

Old 12-17-17, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It would be great if you posted a link so we know what you are looking at.

Old 12-17-17, 08:14 PM
D
PJmax thank you for responding. We have been battling a rat and squirrel problem for almost a year now and I’m tired of being nice. I am very scared to live in my home. We moved out for 5 months and hired 2 different exterminators only to come back and two days into it we found we still have issues. We have been back for 2 months and nights are hell. We are low on funds from the hell wee’ve been through.

Here is the zapper I asked about: https://www.amazon.com/PestZilla-Ele...ic+rodent+trap

I need to eradicate the problem once and for all.

Old 12-18-17, 01:21 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Rats and other rodents will infest an area as long as there is ample food for the horde. It won't matter what kind of trap or killing device you have you need to eliminate as much as possible their food (and water) source or you will NEVER be rid of them.

This means DON'T feed the birds or any other wildlife. DON'T leave food out for cats, dogs or other companion animals. Don't have any "access points" where an animal may enter your home's attic or crawlspace from the outside. With no food available they will not stay. It is a never-ending battle if you live on the edge of a non-developed area or if your neighbors don't also follow the rules about food. Don't think that you will be able to use any device for a short period of time and solve your problem.

The one thing that I know of that does work, to a degree, is a serial murderer cat. Down side is most cats will bring the kill home and at the least lay it out for you right at the doorstep. Sometimes they gut it there as well.

Here is my murdering little monster. He looks like a sweetie but I have to tell him every time he goes out to leave the other animals alone.

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-17, 02:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'll 2nd the effectiveness of cats for rodent control! We live in the woods and with the help of the cats we only get an occasional mouse in the house [usually in the fall/winter] I did have to learn to watch were I step bare footed onto the porch with a morning cup of coffee.

Old 12-18-17, 03:49 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Furd's advice is spot on. You must remove the source or the reason for the rodents. You can't remove the source, but you can control the reason. Food and shelter.

Old 12-18-17, 07:38 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I have no knowledge or experience with traps like this. For me, I’d spend half the money on rat snap traps, set multiple traps and go at them in that way.

Keep in mind that rats are neophobic while mice aren’t. Neophobic means fear of new things. The rats will have to get used to this trap over time. The young ones not as much time. I’d consider camouflaging the trap with whatever is in the immediate area such as leaves, sticks, etc.

To maximize the trapping effort you’ll need to minimize or eliminate food sources as best you can as others have pointed out. That will help stress the rodents into accepting the traps bait.

Old 12-18-17, 09:37 AM
D
Hey All. Thank you for your tips!!

We have snap traps and have hired exterminators who have put 4 EVO rat bait boxes. We don’t have any food around and the food like rice is all in Rubbermaid containers. We have been going through this for nearly a year now full force. We don’t know what’s living in our walls now. It’s flying squirrels or rats. Whatever’s it is it has to go. I am afraid to be in my house and don’t sleep at night.

Our neighbors got chickens a while back like about 2 years. We HAD a crawlspace under 1 room of our house. Rodents moved in and from the look of things after we ripped up our brand new (1 year old) floor they were living in a very comfortable huge colony. It was a mess. So we had to move out of our house for 5 months and hired professionals to pour cement under that floor. The floor got totally ripped up and masons made sure that the 5” of cement was laid flat and covered every corners. We had 2 different extermination companies come in so we always had a second opinion. We’ve been living here for 25 years and never had problems like this.

After 5 months and over $10k out the window we moved back into our house and 2 days in and I’m hearing things in the ceiling and walls of every room. We’ve been back for 2 months now and the problem is getting worse. I have a professional trapper coming out to do an inspection and help. In the meantime, this means war. I need to get the zappers, trapper or not so I can take care of anything that comes near my home. I’m done!! This is hell.

Old 12-18-17, 12:07 PM
F
"Our neighbors got chickens a while back like about 2 years."
There is your problem. You MUST make your home as uninviting as humanly possible because you will NEVER get rid of the problem as long as your neighbors have the chickens.

I live on the edge of an urban forest. Raccoons and opossums visit my back yard on a very frequent basis. So do the squirrels, rabbits, mice, rats and voles. I used to enjoy feeding the birds but I can no longer do that as the uneaten food attracts the unwanted animals. While I have never found evidence of any unwanted animals (other than flies and such) in the living quarters I have found rodent droppings in my crawlspace and garage.

"...food like rice is all in Rubbermaid containers."
That won't stop them. Rodents are able to smell it somehow through the plastic and they will gnaw right through it. I had a plastic waste container, the kind with a foot pedal to raise the lid, I used to store sunflower seeds for the birds and squirrels. A mouse gnawed its way inside and then couldn't get out. I found the desiccated skeleton in the middle. I found rodent pee stains as well as the little black specks of mouse droppings in/on boxes in my garage. I found a place in the garage drywall that something had gnawed through and I patched it with plaster but within a few days the hole was back. I had to patch it with a piece of sheet metal and that did the trick along with getting rid of any foodstuff in the garage and my ending the feeding of the birds.

Squirmy will bring his kill to the back door and lay it out right in the way of traffic. He refuses to get rid of it but luckily the opossum "makes rounds" every few days and will generally take the cadavers. Squirmy has killed rats, mice, voles, bunnies, lizards, birds and pretty much anything the can catch. I absolutely hate it but the only thing that seems to work, and only to a limited degree, is to tell him to leave the other animals alone every time I let him outside. Maybe I'm kidding myself but I know if I don't tell him the chances of finding a dead animal on the porch go up significantly.

Old 12-18-17, 01:52 PM
I can a test to Furd's remark about Rubbermaid container not being rat resistant. You must use metal containers with lids that lock on. My daughter, a veterinarian kept tried to use plastic containers and had to go to metal.
And yes the chickens is the reason for the rat problem. You may be able to go to the local town and complain about the rat problem pointing to the chickens as the cause.

Old 12-20-17, 12:05 PM
D
Fed up

Guys I had to rip up a brand new floor that I’m still paying on and have Mason and cement trucks fill in my crawl space. I have 2 Exterminators, the DEM and trapper all on this issue. We are $15k plus in the hole. Been here 25 years and never had an issue until the neighbor got chickens.
I can’t have a cat because I have parrots. You might say well that is the reason for rats but nope. The parrot food is kept in industrial food containers (5 gallon buckets). I am assured that no rats even go around them. Parrots cages and area around are always clean because you don’t bring something into your home if you aren’t going to take care of it. I could have outside cats but how do they know to stay on your property and how do you keep them warm in the winter?
I have invested almost a years time into this hellish nightmare and going broke over it, The Trappers told me that my house is clean enough that the rats weren’t coming here for food but only shelter. I never found any rat droppings anywhere in my house but the whole underneath of the crawlspace 20’X20’ full of rat crap.

Old 12-20-17, 01:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Cats can survive quite well outside. We've had outside cats for years and while we don't see as much cold as you, we do see nights in the teens or lower. When it gets real cold our cats find a spot in the barn to curl up and stay warm. We've had some cats that never left the property [16 acres] but others would go who knows where and return a day or two later.

Old 12-20-17, 01:35 PM
D
Thank you,for your. Reply Markr!! I will probably go ahead and call my local SPCA to see if they have any feral cat.

Last edited by Djdancer; 12-20-17 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Commas added
Old 12-20-17, 01:39 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Are rodents being caught in the snap traps, live traps, etc?
If so, is it rats, mice, squirrels or what?
Approximately how many rodents are caught weekly?
Are the traps kept freshly baited?
How many are set right now?

The 4 bait stations-did rodents eat the bait that was inside?
Is there fresh, plentiful bait at all times in the bait stations?
Are any dead rodents found anywhere?

Last edited by PAbugman; 12-20-17 at 01:57 PM. Reason: more questions.
Old 12-20-17, 02:56 PM
F
"Been here 25 years and never had an issue until the neighbor got chickens. "

Yup! This is why most cities prohibit the keeping of farm animals inside the city limits. I suspect that if your neighbors were to give up their attempt at urban farming (I assume you live inside a city's corporate limits) that your problem would disappear shortly thereafter.

What kind of human access do you have to the crawlspace? I know you stated it was very shallow but there ARE ways of sealing that might be possible without tearing up the floor. I assume the professionals you have been using have already made a thorough inspection of the perimeter on the outside and determined that the pests (probably just rats) are entering by digging tunnels. If they have not made the inspection and determination then that needs to be done. It is amazing how small an opening will let in an animal that seems to be several times too big to fit but that IS the case. The openings MUST be closed with metal as wood, plaster and even fresh concrete will be gnawed through.

Mark is absolutely correct that SOME cats can live outside year-round but they DO need to be acclimated. I have a friend that sent me a link to a page that had several pictures of Siberian farm cats, many covered in snow, and in addition to being beautiful cats they seem quite content as well. My Balinese, Douglas, used to love being outside during the colder weather (not all that cold here) whether it was in rain or our occasional snow. He is now in his nineteenth year though and rather frail so he spends most of his time inside. Here in the greater Seattle area have a program that traps feral and homeless cats, neuters them and then releases them back to the area they came from for the express purpose of holding down the rodent problem. I know there are other such programs in different areas of the country, maybe yours as well. If you go this route the organization may want to place more than one cat. As you probably are aware, parrots are social animals and when held alone, or with minimal human contact they will insane. Cats are often thought of as solitary animals and some of the wild species definitely are but the same is NOT true of domesticated cats, even after several generations of living in the urban wilderness. Urban "feral" cats often live in feline communities and while they don't roam in packs like dogs they DO need the companionship of others.

Old 12-20-17, 10:28 PM
D
PAbug no more rodents being caught in traps in a couple months. Rats have been very hard to catch. Unfortunately we had most luck with rats in glue traps.. We had quite a few rats, mice and squirrels. Even 3 opossum caught in live traps. We have caught many many mice in all traps. All traps are always freshly bated. We have over 50 snap traps outdoors and indoors. We have 24 snap traps for mice. Also have 6 mouse bait boxes inside n 4 EVO bait boxes outside. Would have any more but exterminator charges by the box and it’s costing a fortune. We are having the exterminator back out again tomorrow to do more bait around outside perimeter of house. Yes, bait is being eaten and refreshed. Other than what we have caught have no found any dead anywhere. That may or may not be due to either the neighborhood cats, fox, Fischer cat or coyote eating them??

Old 12-20-17, 10:35 PM
D
Furd we don’t have much access to the crawlspace not that the cement has been poured, cured and so far subfloor put back down. We had 5” of cement layer in there and smoothed out to all sides and corners. We made sure it had been cured for over a month before putting the subfloor down. I am just truly sick of paying people to come and inspect things and really need this issue gone.

I am going to look into the feral cats and also have a greenhouse that I can give them access to get out of the weather. The guy with the chickens threw his cats outside a couple years ago and they do seem to have acclimated.

Old 12-21-17, 03:40 AM
You say this all started when your neighbors started keeping chickens. Contact your local government. Find out if they are legally keeping chickens. Are the conditions conforming to the law? Have you documented everything you have told us? Provide this info to the authorities. You must eliminate the reason for the infestation. If you can't eliminate the reason, you must eliminate any and all possible entry and food sources. If you really believe that the chickens are the cause then you must present a health hazard to the local authorities and maintain that that is the cause.

Old 02-09-18, 02:34 PM
D
Still having issues

Hey All.

Still having issues with rodents running through walls. Not sure if it rat, mice or flying squirrels. What do you think about installing one way exclusion trap in the house. I don’t know if they’re hungry or what but have been very active all day today. I am really scared and can’t sleep at night with this thing or things running in walls or baseboard heater right next to my bed. Still haven’t figured out where they got in and have security cameras set up everywhere. I need to at least deal with what’s in there now though because I think it’s probabl hungry and that’s why active. We have parrots and think that’s why whatever it is is hanging around in this room. How do I know what kind of exclusion trap to buy if I don’t know what it is I’m trying to trap?

I thought about taking a large tote and duct taping the cover on. Put rat glue traps in bottom along with nuts and fruit. Get pvc pipe and cut hole in tote, secure pvc to tote cut hole in the wall stick pvc pipie in and wait... ??

Old 02-09-18, 04:17 PM
We have parrots and think that’s why whatever it is is hanging around in this room.
That says a lot! What makes you think your fowl is not what is drawing the rodents as opposed to your neighbor's chickens? You must keep the area extra clean of any seed dropping the birds make. That is what is drawing the rodents. How do you store your feed for the parrots? Is it kept in a metal container. Is the floor always clear of seed?

From the first post you made I had this question my mind as to why the rodents would be at you house and not at the neighbor's since that is where the birds and feed is. What is making the rodents come to your house. And I think you gave us the answer.

Old 02-11-18, 07:35 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
A one way exclusion trap can only work if one is installed properly at every entry/exit that the animal is using. Even then it needs to be a hole, burrow or similar opening as opposed to a gap or larger open space. As you state that you don’t know how it is getting in then you aren’t even close to using this strategy effectively. After all this time no one yet knows what type of animal, if it is in fact an animal, how many, location of entry/exits, etc. We are nowhere close to forming a strategy for solving this problem until many questions are answered.

The “tote” idea probably won’t work as other trapping strategies haven’t worked.

What is this animal eating inside of your house? Knowing that would be a starting point.

Old 02-12-18, 06:36 AM
D
PAbugman thank you for responding. Why do you think the one way exclusion will not be a good solution for the short Term? In saying that I think if we put the one way exclusion trap inside the house where we know they are moving around will help us to see what else we are dealing with. No one has any idea what it is. Some people think I’m nuts at this point but the people who know me know that there is something there. They aren’t eating anything in my house at all. There is absolutely nothing for them to eat. They are stuck in the wall cavity and have no way to get in my living area unless they eat the rough the wall. Every hole in my house has been filled in with steel wool over the years because we live in a rural area so there are mice around here. We aren’t catching any of this anymore either so something is eating them... We are still looking all over the outside of the house for where they are getting in. We have security cameras all over outside including on the roof and have yet to see how anything is getting in.

Old 02-12-18, 01:39 PM
Is it possible to open the wall where you hear the noise most often. Seems that might be the only way to know for sure what you're up against. Any possible chance it could be water running in a pipe?

Old 02-12-18, 02:11 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe we have different definitions of what a one way exclusion trap is. With squirrels, bats and maybe other things the animal trappers will use a one way trap that lets the pest get out but not return as it is “one way”. They then perform exclusionary work on the structure. I’m thinking that you may actually be referring to live traps? If so, that is a good idea then.

Old 02-14-18, 09:28 PM
D
Okay I need to tell you guys that there is no food source what-so-ever in my house. This is driving us crazy because we hear them in walls and ceiling of almost every room we go into.

PABugman Imdont want to use regular live traps. I want to use a “one way” exclusion trap. See here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...electedIndex=0

I want to use this inside the house in one of my bedrooms where I hear them.

Old 02-15-18, 08:34 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Dj......How about a $20 stethoscope to listen for activity behind walls. How about a $40 camera with a 3-5 foot cable to actually look behind walls. Point it down and look for droppings.

Old 02-15-18, 01:15 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Good pic DJ. It seems to me that you need to know where to put it. I’m thinking that you will cut a hole or opening when you pinpoint the location better? I like the stethoscope idea that Yadda has. I’ve never used the camera but I know a lot of people do that are in the inspection businesses.

Old 02-15-18, 01:37 PM
I agree that an endoscope, (real cheap on e-Bay or Amazon) with a smart cell phone will tell the tail. You still should be seeing some type of effect (damage) somewhere in the house.

Old 02-27-18, 03:06 PM
D
YaddaI do have both a stethoscope and an endoscope that I bought off eBay for $10. When I look in the walls I just see a lot of brown insulation. I tried the stethoscope and the scope thing long before coming here. I actually gave a bunch of the endoscopes away to different pest and rodent trappers who all agree that there is something still in the walls but without opening them up no one knows. If any of you know of a good exclusion trap that I can put in the house that will catch something as small as a mouse and as big as a flying squirrel or rat please send me the link. Just to let you all know that I have mouse bait boxes and rat bait boxes all outside my house. Some of it is eaten but not enough to tell if it’s mice or rats...

Old 02-28-18, 10:17 PM
D
Hey Norm I was just reading back through these posts and saw wher you said the parrots food is what’s drawing the rodents. My parrots don’t eat sees, their cages and floor around the I’d kept super clean. I can send you some pics if you want. Don’t you think I would have thought of that first? Their pellets are kept in food grade containers in a metal cabinet that we walk by very often.

I did think it was the birds too until everyone commented on how clean the cages are kept. What made me think it was from the neighbors chickens is because the neighbor came over in the months before we started having the rodent issues and asked if he could borrow some have a heart traps because he had rats around his chickens and the seeds.

Old 03-01-18, 04:05 AM
OK. You verified that your feed is not the source. I still question why the rodents are coming to your area when the food source is at your neighbors. Something is drawing them in. Of course any rural area or a house with farm animals will have some instances of rodents. Have we mentioned the use of a mouser, aka cats?

PS...my daughter is veterinarian, and has all kinds of pets including a Macaw. She has a special area and cage just for the bird. She also is super clean. However, that area is always messy. Birds are messy animals. I'm not going argue the point, I'm just making the point. BTW...I'm bias, I hate birds even though I use to raise canaries.

Old 03-01-18, 08:49 AM
D
Norm the area is spotless only because I’m home and own a shop vac or 3. I really need help and advice. I have had things trying to eat their way into my house for the past two nights. I can’t sleep at night and for some reason they are still going at it right now and it’s almost noon. Why have we been going through this a year and can hear things moving around in the wall cavities and they are just now trying to eat their way in?? What do I do? I am scared to death of waking up with a rodent in my bed. I have mouse and bait boxes all around the inside and outside of my house. The exterminators are useless because all they do is come and inspect the bate, change it and leave. They can’t even tell what we are dealing with because they are stuck in the wall cavities for now but will be in the house soon. Please someone give me some direction?
What we have that’s drawing them (I think) is a pond in our backyard, we used to have a crawl space until last September when wee filled it with cement and shelter for them to sleep. I need to do something today because if not I’m going to wake up with something in my bed.

Last edited by Djdancer; 03-01-18 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Adding more text
Old 03-01-18, 09:11 AM
M
Paying people to constantly set up traps probably isn't the best use of your funds at this point. Much better to hire a company that focuses on finding how they are getting in, getting them out (usually via one way doors), and then sealing up all potential entry points. There are many such companies here in Canada and we used one just recently. They aren't cheap but they guarantee their work for life. These guys go all around your house and on the roof (rodents often get in to your attic from the roof and once there they can access wall cavities). If anything is in the house they will set up a couple of one way doors. They also spray your attic with an odour that rodents don't like, so this makes them exit through the one way doors. They seal up all gaps, cracks, vents etc. that rodents can use to get in. I'm sure there must be something like this where you live.

Old 03-01-18, 09:17 AM
D
Miksterz they are called trappers where we are. I paid one $150 to come out and look to see where they thought they were coming in. He said he thinks they are just mice and I can give hi. $2600 - $2800 to seal up my house. Okay so where are you sealing?? I think I know how they are getting in but not so sure. I have been looking for a contractor to come put molding on the soffit. Bad thing is that no one has time.

Old 03-01-18, 09:25 AM
M
Oh I see. Well I think that is in principle what you need but someone more professional than this guy that didn't do a more detailed inspection. When we called these guys they spent an hour inspecting the perimeter, roof, garage, and attic. Then provided a detailed itemized quote of every single thing they would do to prevent things getting in to the house. If there are multiple possible entryways they can't tell for you sure where things are getting in from, but the important part is that they identify all potential entryways and seal them off (after removing them, of course).

Old 03-01-18, 09:36 AM
D
Mikstetz there are only 3 of them in our state and he was the only one who responded. How much did it cost you? The bad thing is this... anything that would kill or deter the rodents would also kill the bird. Also, we don’t have an attic. I need to get them out now.

Old 03-01-18, 09:40 AM
M
$2600 so similar to what you were quoted.

Old 03-01-18, 09:47 AM
M
You are in Rhode Island right? RI Wildlife Removal sounds a lot like the company we used

Old 03-01-18, 10:13 AM
D
That guy is no longer in business. I even had the DEM come out. I am looking for a one way exclusion trap that will trap something as small as a mouse but as large as a rat or squirrel. I think I know where they are coming in. I’m also willing to cut a hole inside in the wall. I just want to know what I’m dealing with so I can get rid of it.

Old 03-02-18, 07:39 AM
M

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: