Newbie sump pump question

Old 01-12-18, 02:29 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Newbie sump pump question

Hi folks. In my current house (been here only a year), we have a basement and a sump pump. We've had a lot of rain today and I can hear the pump cycling on and off. I've never really heard it before so I went down to check it out. For the most part everything looks normal, but there seems to be a leak coming from the pipe that takes the water out of the house. I'm assuming that means the pump takes the water out of the house, and then maybe the water just falls back into the sump hole. There's a link below to a video I took. Initially I thought the leak was coming from the top of that black connector, but then when I manually run the pump you can see the water actually comes from the white pipe (at the top of the dirty part of the white pipe). If that white pipe is leaking, any thoughts on how to fix it? Do I have to just cut it and put in a new elbow piece?

Hopefully you can see the video at this link.
https://youtu.be/1g4eoUYh4DA

Last edited by John Palatzo; 01-12-18 at 02:30 PM. Reason: More text.
Old 01-12-18, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Is that one piece of pipe stuck inside of another ?
Gives us a picture showing the pipe a little higher.

Name:  sp.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 01-12-18, 02:38 PM
J
Thanks pj...that’s exactly what I was thinking until I ran the pump. Watch in the video after I run the pump, you’ll see the water comes from above that black coupler.

Old 01-12-18, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes.... I changed my reply based on your added information.

Old 01-12-18, 06:32 PM
J
Thanks...here are a few more pictures. It's also weird to me that in the one picture below (where I drew a large red circle) had some moisture/wetness on that top side of the sump cover. There's nothing leaking down the pipe from above, and nothing coming down from the ceiling. Maybe it's moisture/condensation?

Attached Images      
Old 01-12-18, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would probably cut the horizontal part of the pipe inside the sump pit first. Then disconnect everything from the sump and replace it. Use a Fernco repair coupling fitting to tie back in where you cut it. It will make it easy to remove the sump for future maintenence.

Old 01-14-18, 07:37 AM
J
Thanks for the replies. Went to the plumbing store and they sold me the replacement pipe and elbow and coupler. Also sold me the primer and glue. I asked him if I needed to sand the PVC pipes before gluing and connecting then, and he said no. I’ve read in other places to sand it first. Thoughts on that?

Old 01-14-18, 09:05 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
No need to sand. Scuffing up the pipe finish by sanding might even make them harder to assemble. Just make sure the areas to be joined are clean.

Old 01-14-18, 09:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I dont see any primer on that elbow, might have just been stuck on.

I would have also used a fernco union (clamp) instead of coupling, will make it much easier to remove but if you have the fittings already.

Prime and glue each joint at same time before primer dries, give it a little twist when seating the pipes and fittings

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: