crumbing concrete driveway

Old 01-24-18, 10:12 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry crumbing concrete driveway

I had a new driveway installed about 18 months ago. I watched the installer and the base was at least 4" with gravel. I live in a cold weather climate, (Buffalo, NY). I'm noticing crumbing in the seams and severe pitting and what looks like de-laminating in some surface areas. I had the installer out and he's trying to blame it on road salt from my car, but the car is parked in the garage, not on the driveway.

Old 01-24-18, 10:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Sounds like he was not the right contractor. Have you had someone else out to assess?

Old 01-24-18, 10:21 AM
P
he says will send out the concrete company to access the problem, but wants to blame it on the extremly cold temperatures this year

Old 01-24-18, 10:21 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
It's possible they finished the surface prematurely before the bleed water evaporated. Not sure there is any way to prove that was the cause, unfortunately.

Old 01-24-18, 10:24 AM
P
This could turn into a law suit I'm afraid!

Old 01-24-18, 10:24 AM
M
he says will send out the concrete company to access the problem, but wants to blame it on the extremly cold temperatures this year
The contractor should have modified the mixture and used curing blankets if it were so cold if there were a chance the driveway would be compromised.

Old 01-24-18, 10:27 AM
P
It was installed in May. temp here was in the low 70's

Old 01-24-18, 10:30 AM
M
It was installed in May. temp here was in the low 70's
Oh, I was thinking it was poured in the winter because of the cold weather comment. If the surface is cracking and spalling, then it sounds to me like it wasn't cured properly and/or finished prematurely. Salt should not cause this to happen on properly installed concrete. Interesting reading for you: https://www.askthebuilder.com/deicin...-and-concrete/

Old 01-24-18, 10:32 AM
P
yes, most of the time. they started finishing right away

Old 01-24-18, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, it sounds like poor finishing. The road salt is a typical or normal excuse. Even tough your car is parked in the garage, I would bet it is left in the driveway where the ice and road salt can drop off. Being in Buffalo, you are in a prime area for that excuse. Does every driveway in Buffalo spall or scale?

The base you used was apparently fine to give the structural support and stability if it was compacted properly.

Did you use the right type of concrete mix (4000 psi AND 5% air entrainment)? That can minimize the poor workmanship somewhat. Here, for driveways the owner would have to sign a release if something else is used. Not using the proper mix is the sign of a poor contractor. Most concrete suppliers I got to know after ears of inspecting concrete would not even deliver plain concrete if they knew the proposed use and give their drivers the right to refuse to unload. - It is not worth the troubles it causes.

Did you ask the contractor for list of projects he did before he got on the job?

Dick

Old 01-24-18, 10:38 AM
P
just a neighbor down the street that used them and they are happy. That driveway looks ok. Can you send mean e mail on any documentation that states this info

Old 01-24-18, 10:44 AM
M
yes, most of the time. they started finishing right away
That would do it. The bleed water needs to evaporate before finishing begins.

I'm concerned my driveway is headed down the same path. They poured a lot of concrete in one day and it was getting dark so they were in a hurry to finish it. Time will tell.

Old 01-24-18, 10:49 AM
P
So, you think it might be the contractor, not the concrete mix?

Old 01-24-18, 11:01 AM
M
Sounds like the consensus is poor finishing, which a poor mixture would have made worse. In other words, a perfect mixture and poor finishing could still result in spalling, but would be less likely.

Old 01-24-18, 04:01 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Spalled concrete - caused by poor finishing and the use of water on the surface to aid in the finishing process. Excess water and overfinishing create a weak surface that can't handle freeze-thaw expansion and contraction.
I should get a pitcher of my driveway. Builder did the driveway himself and after 10 years large areas of the drive are pitted, some day I'll have to tear it out and replace.

Road salts can contribute just like they tear up roads, melting water and allowing it to get into the hair line cracks.

Materials contribute but are a down on the list and usually first to be blamed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: