Getting a Wired Ethernet Signal from WiFi Network?

Old 02-05-18, 01:10 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Getting a Wired Ethernet Signal from WiFi Network?

I have a system that I need to access my home network, but it doesn't have the ability to access WiFi without a fairly expensive part. Is there any other way besides doing a network over powerlines option to get a wired connection on something where wireless only exists?

Old 02-05-18, 01:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You need a wifi to ethernet adapter. My steel warehouse building blocks the wifi signal from my router so I have a adapter on the outside of the building. It picks up the wifi signal from my office wifi and it's connected to the computer in the warehouse by an ethernet cable.

Old 02-05-18, 04:47 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
You need a wifi to ethernet adapter

Sounds like a clumsy solution. Is this some type of ancient system where wifi to (fill-in) is cost prohibitive or non-existent?

Old 02-05-18, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If it's a computer system...a simple WiFi USB adapter would be easy and cheap.

You really need to explain what kind of system you have that need to access your network.

Old 02-05-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
I've never seen a system where "wireless only" is available unless you are borrowing signal from a neighbor. If it's your network there should be hardwired connections available.

Old 02-05-18, 07:22 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Hmm, sounds like a manufacturer's price for a wifi card is way to high.
You're describing a "wireless bridge" -- It's not really an expensive part.
All you need is a $10 linksys router from a thriftshop, running free DD-WRT firmware,
Takes about an hour to setup, and you have a WiFI to ethernet bridge.

Example, a tenant left behind a workhorse HP LasterJet 2100.
I noticed it had a "wireless printing" badge - "Yeah"
Turns out it's only bluetooth printing "Damn"
But it does network printing "Yeah"
But only ethernet "Damn"
But, I have a Linksys DD-WRT bridge sitting around, so it's effectively a wifi printer "Yeah".

Postscript
Quick clarification- you say need to access the home network,
do you mean "i need to access the internet" (easy)
or "I need a network bridge to connect local IP addresses" (a little more complex)

Last edited by Hal_S; 02-05-18 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 05:33 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am trying to connect a Solaredge Solar PV inverter to my network so I can get diagnostic information about my PV system. The option is to pay $200ish for their zigbee based wireless system, or plug into the existing ethernet RJ-45 port on it. I was hoping to go the cheaper route, as I have already invested a lot into this system. I have some Western Digital ethernet over power systems that I am going to try, but was hoping for more of an effective solution, as when I used those before I had to reset the connection to them many times. I was hoping for a small antenna system that I can plug into power and then run the ethernet cable back to the inverter. Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-06-18, 09:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You need wireless bridge. They used to be popular with gaming systems (PS4, XBox) before they all started shipping with wifi.

Most (all?) current routers can be configured as a bridge.

From Netgear's website:

Old 02-06-18, 09:54 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Well I have to beg Pilot Dane’s forgiveness (posts 1-3). That solution seemed awkward given that the Wi-Fi signal is already available at the target device. My bad since whatever is cost effective and works is good.

Looks like those “wireless bridge adapters” aren’t real cheap (e.g. wl-330ge $99). Seems like that one would work but it’s overkill for the application. Seems to me you get much more than is needed in your case. As stated above maybe something from a thrift shop might be the way to go.

Old 02-06-18, 11:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
In my case the Pico Station on the outside of the building was the cheapest and easiest way to get my warehouse computer connected to the network. The other option was digging a trench and running a cable between the buildings.

Old 02-06-18, 03:17 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
If you just need basic data over ethernet, 10x base cables are dirt cheap. Pennies per foot.

If I were you, I'd buy N x 100' of ethernet cable, and N x 100' of garden hose.
Run the cheap ethernet through the even cheaper garden hose.

It works, don't laugh.

I wouldn't even bother to bury it, just wait for a rainy day, walk heel-to-toe to create a shallow divot, and lay the ethernet-inside-hose down.

Old 05-25-18, 08:09 PM
G
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You can get a basic wireless router for less than $20, then set it up as a bridge.

Double check the manual to make sure it has a bridge mode before buying. I think most of them has this mode. Also, any router that can run DD-WRT can be set to bridge mode.

Old 05-26-18, 07:09 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Many Wireless Extenders also have an Ethernet Port. An example is TP-Link AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: