Honda 2017 CRV maintenance

Old 02-09-18, 12:25 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Honda 2017 CRV maintenance

Hi
Instead of using a schedule for my Honda CRV EX-L I let the lights tell me what to do with maintenance.
I avoid the dealer unless il is free.
Any ideas about synthetic vs regular?
What about mix them up?
Thanx

Old 02-09-18, 01:12 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
What grade of oil does it take ?

Old 02-09-18, 02:14 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
What year is your car?

On older cars switching is fine, or even blending (Ford uses a blend). However, with a new car, you must use the recommended oil. In my case my Chevy Travisty must use Detros (all syn). Also using the idiot lights or oil monitor system is fine but use common sense also. Normal driving conditions as stated in the manual are anything but what most people consider normal. City driving is considered harsh environment. An all synthetic should get you an easy 5K to 6k if you do mostly city or urban driving. Mostly highway and no towing, you should get an easy 7k or more. If only high speed highway, I would go 10K.

Old 02-09-18, 02:31 PM
P
oil

The dealer said you could use whatever you wanted and could switch. I do not believe all they say that is why I am here.
It has nitrogen in the tires and came through with synthetic oil. I figure the computer should know the grade; 5W-30 was my old car.
i don't know what it should take or the specs ; I live new DC.
We have only 1500 miles on it and it is somewhat city driving. I guess the light will come on when it is due.
I wonder if the filters lite up too? I remember changing the cabin air filter in my old Crolla by taking the glove box out.
I cannot any longer take care of it.
Would you take it to the dealer for maintenance until the warranty is up? Honda = no free oil change for new cars to my knowledge.

Old 02-09-18, 03:22 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You need to take the owners manual out of the glove box an look up the section for scheduled maintenance.

At best the car may have an oil life indicator but the manual will tell you what type of oil to use. Nothing that I have ever seen will remind you of when to change other fluids, filters, or the type of gas to put in your tires.

Dealers can be expensive but so can the local oil change establishments, I just took my car up there last week due to being too cold and they were telling me about coolant and brake fluid changes thousands of miles below what is required.

The automaker knows what your car needs, just follow the schedule.

Old 02-09-18, 04:57 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is one little tip that i use, but it only addresses oil changes... I set the "Trip Meter B" when i do an oil change. That way, with the press of a couple of buttons, i can see how many miles i have on the oil.

Old 02-09-18, 05:14 PM
P
Maintenance

The trip odo is a good idea.
I am noting now to get the schedule out tomorrow morning.
Thank you

Old 02-09-18, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
The nitrogen in the tires is pretty much a scam. There's no need for it in a normal car and it gains you nothing. That's assuming where you check tire pressure and adjust as needed has adequate filters on their air compressor. I have heard stories of people breaking the bead on tires and there is water inside from a poorly maintained supply system.

Old 02-10-18, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What weight oil to use will be stated both in your owner's manual and under the hood. Most new cars require 0w20 which may only come in synthetic. I keep a maintenance log on all our vehicles, when I was younger I kept all that info in my brain but somewhere along the line I think it shorted out so I now have to write it down.

Old 02-10-18, 05:40 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Peterr, "you said "I cannot any longer take care of it" a destination many of us are headed.
Fortunately I live in a bit smaller community and have a local garage I TOTALLY trust and that is such a benefit to be able to give them my problems and know they will fix it AND anything else they find that is a must. Anything less than a must they just write it up for me to consider on my next visit. Being a good customer for them helps makes it work.

If you can do some searching and checking with friends and relatives and find a local garage you can work with they can help you stay on top of what needs to be done. Despite what we hear all too often there are still honest people out there and they deserve our business.

Bud

Old 02-10-18, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Ditto what Bud said.

Old 02-10-18, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'm doing my own study on synthetics. With previous engines in my wrecker (5.7L gas TBI, I'm on the third one) we always used conventional @ 3000 miles. My current engine I began using full synthetic @ 5000 mile changes and it has recently passed 300,000 miles. The last engine threw a rod at 280,000. I'm not even using the expensive synthetic, I use the Wally World store brand Supertech 10w-30. Engine using about 1 1/2 qts between changes, mostly, I think, on startups when I get a puff of smoke from worn valve seals.

Old 02-10-18, 07:40 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
when I was younger I kept all that info in my brain but somewhere along the line I think it shorted out

I also have a photographic memory but occasionally forget the film!

Old 02-10-18, 09:03 AM
P
0-20 is the oil type in the manual.
I read the manual and also online. The Honda Corp says the "maintenance minder" will detect when oil, even cabin and air filters etc need looking at or changing.
It is too smart for me.
Another thing; my old Corolla did plugs(iridium) at 120,000 and this calls for 30,000 10 years later - regression or savings.
II guess I will clean and check air and dipsticks etc occasionally and at 7500 will see about rotation and oil.
Then around the suspicious #'s like 10K, 15K will check fluids belts, hoses, plugs etc.
I'll bet oil is around 7K along with rotation.
There is no paper schedule.

Last edited by peterr; 02-10-18 at 09:21 AM. Reason: content
Old 02-10-18, 11:12 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think i would have the dealership do the routine maintenance. And, yes, cars are getting very smart these days. I would find a maintenance schedule - ask the dealer for one if it's not in your owners manual - and take it in at the recommended intervals. Let the warning lights or indicators guide you, but i would go with the maint sched mileages.

The reason for this is that the dealer will document the service which will keep your warranty valid (it sounds like a new car...). They will also know of and apply any Service Bulletins that may come out on your CRV. Will it cost a bit more that an independant shop -yes, probably. But i think it's money well spent.

Old 02-10-18, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Regarding maintenance work, if the dealer does the work there is a good record of it [could be needed if there is a warranty problem] whereas is you do the work or have an independent shop do the work it's up to you to keep records/receipts.

Old 03-25-18, 10:04 AM
P
Honda CRV 2017 maintenance

Hi again.
Do I rely on "maintenance minder" for everything like air filters etc.
or is there a schedule I should look at.
There has to be a better guide than common sense or opinion.
The dealer menu is crazy high$ and extra stuff too early.
Thanks

Old 03-25-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Since topic was already started..... threads combined.

Old 03-25-18, 11:36 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
For air or cabin filters it really depends on your driving habits.
Those filters will last a lot longer on city roads than country roads.

Engine air filters last a lot longer and suffer almost no performance or economy loss until right at end of life.
Old carburetored cars began to lose performance as the filter slowly clogged but new fuel injected computer controlled engines continually compensate the air/fuel mixture.
If you want maximum life from your engine air filter then install a "filter minder" gauge. It will pay for itself .....
Filter Minder® - How do air filter service indicators work?

I usually remove and vacuum my cabin filters and engine air filter annually. They last a long time and work well.

Old 03-25-18, 11:39 AM
P
0-20 is what the book says

Old 03-25-18, 11:43 AM
P
Title says 2017 and Honda says can mix oil

No schedule in the glove.
I agree with o2 and nitro

Old 03-25-18, 11:50 AM
P
I basically was looking for a schedule as I was usd to with all cars I owned.
This new one has what they call :maintenance minder: which tells to when things are due. I will combine that with common sense and use a service station I was referred to.
Maintenance minder is a new Honda way of displaying on the dash work to be done.
I have donated enough to dealers who have to pay for so much overhead; you end up getting a hefty bill. I am going to use a shop a friend has had good luck with.
There is no schedule that comes with this car anymore.
I consider the thread closed and thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: