Goodman gas pack recycling

Old 02-11-18, 09:43 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman gas pack recycling

I have a Goodman gas pack . The house was cold after being gone for a week . I thought it wasthe pressure switch. I replaced it with a dual purpose adjustable one. Thought i had it right but kept doing same. The same behavior is this: fires up, butshort cycles back off. The circuit board flashes three times, I reset the power and mboard flashes 2 times. It then calls for heat, the inducer motor kicks in the light goes solid and it
fires up again. Then the sequence starts all over again. Sometimes the inducerwont kick on sometimes it will. About half the time the top burner will roll out and trip the roll out switch. Also, I have noticed the exhaust is stronger than what I would say is normal. Usuall i can stand it if I get a whiff, but with this one it takes my breath away and burns eyes to point I have to walk away . Usually i can turn my head for a fresh breath, but with this one I have to walk away to get fresh air. I replaced the new pressure switch with an exact replacement, so I think. It is a -0.33 wc. Im wondering if the new one could be NC vs NO ecause with the new switch it seemed to keep flashing two. The model and serial is:
M: GPG1360115M41DA, S: 1304684232
any ideas? I’m leaning towards a clogged or cracked heat exchanger. Filters changed out last month. Have not checked duct work but don’t anticipate any collapse or crushing there.

Old 02-11-18, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like several issues there. I don't recommend changing the pressure switch especially with an adjustable one. If it's tripping.... there is a problem. Packaged units age quicker as they're outside and require yearly maintenance. I'd recommend calling your gas supplier for a maintenance call.

Old 02-11-18, 10:46 AM
A
Gas pack

Hmm, I have a couple buddies J always refer to when I run into a problem. The gas supplier does do service any mores. I actually worked for them for 10 years. I haven’t worked on pckage units in about 15 years. Back when I was working on things , you could jump out a pressure switch. (Before circuit boards were prevalent) logs , space heaters, water heaters, piping... I’m good at. HVAC .... I learn as I go. I think I will go ahead and check the heat exchanger but in the interim I’ll call my home warranty company. I have been avoiding them cause I figure I’ll have to wait a few days. Plus the deductible is 100.00. But, if I know if I am not careful I’ll put that much in parts I dont need.

Old 02-11-18, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The pressure switch can't be just jumped out. The board looks for the pressure switch to be open on a call for heat and to close once the inducer blower starts running.

Old 02-11-18, 12:05 PM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
It not advisable to jump things out. Your not fixing anything at that point, your just a hack.
How did you set the new adjustable pressure switch up? You used a manometer to set it correctly, right?
It sounds like it may have a heat exchanger problem. I’d shut it down until it can be properly diagnosed.
Home warranty companies have a horrible reputation. They often hire the cheapest body they can find, and don’t care about technical ability. They’ve also been known to install used parts and damage/destroy equipment.

Old 02-11-18, 11:20 PM
A
Goodman

yes I know I cant jump out pressure switch , now I know. But I’m pretty sure I used to do it yeayago before circuit boards. But anyway, now I realize I cant. I don’t have a monometer that goes that low. Mine only goes to 5 inches wc. So what I did was turn it clockwise until J heard it click and my ohm meter indicated continuiy. Then , once inducer on, I backed it off until it clicked again and then a little more, also confirmed continuity. But, since it still didn’t work, I went on and bought the correct one. Or at least Its supposed to be the correct one. It is -0.33 negative pressure. It didn’t seem to act right and I sort of wonder if it is a NC instead of NO. Or do theh even make a NC

Old 02-12-18, 06:37 AM
R
You can’t jump out controls even if there’s no board. It’s a safety control. The opening switch isn’t the problem, it’s the result of the real issue. Jumping the pressure switch out creates a major safety issue. I’ve seen units burn to the ground because someone has jumped out safety controls.
If the unit is burning your eyes and rolling out it’s got a major combustion issue.
Check gas pressure, and the condition of the heat exchanger and associated draft components.
The pressure switch should be the exact OEM replacement.

Old 02-12-18, 08:01 AM
A
Thanks, I did go back with what the Goodman dealer said was the proper replacement, although I did notice the OEM said Goodman on it and this one is a different brand. But, both made in Costa Rica, source 1 is the new one. I never jumped out something and left it, just use as a diagnostic tool. Although,I know, I know its a jack leg, shade tree, way of doing things. But when it comes to HVAC I don’t claim to be a professional, I usually waste alot of my own time and when I have thourghly ehausted all ideas and am looking at spending more money than just paying the professional, that is when I accept defeat and call in the calvary, you, the professional. I really appreciate your help and your concern for my safety. If I lived in your area You wold be who I would call. About the home warranty guy... I always figured that was the case. Probably not getting anyone much better than me. I knew that exhaust seemed to lead to the heat exchanger. I’ll let y’all know what happens. Oh, and I checked on the guy they want to send and the reviews are about 50/50. The negative ones are all from warranty jobs. Go figure.

Old 02-12-18, 08:08 AM
R
Whatever it is, DO NOT allow it to run like that. It could be producing large amounts of CO, which will kill you very easily.
The rollout is also a fire hazard.

Old 02-12-18, 10:06 AM
A
Co

Maybe tht explains my headaches??
Just kidding. Trust me, I’m aware of this, thanks man.

Old 02-12-18, 10:59 AM
R
You’d be amazed how many consumers think CO is a sales tactic made up by hvac techs to sell stuff.
Or they think it’s not a real danger.

Old 02-12-18, 11:54 AM
A
Co

have them call the fire department, they’ll use their gas detector and show them, plus they will validate you, even if the CO isn’t at critical levels yet. Most fire departments will evacuate the structure at 35ppm, shut off gas, not allow reentry until levels are down and a rep from gas utility has arrived.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: