Removal of phone wall mount/base due cancellation of landline

Old 02-11-18, 06:07 PM
D
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Removal of phone wall mount/base due cancellation of landline

I would like to completely remove this phone mount since I have discontinued my landline. If I remove the mount from the wall and patch the hole and just leave the phone line in the wall, would that cause any problem for a future owner who wanted to have a landline? In other words, assuming they were unaware of a previously active line in the wall, would that cause any issue with establishing new phone service, and perhaps using the phone service for DSL internet access?

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-18, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well they sure wouldn't be able to find it if it's hidden inside the wall. But no, an unused line would not cause an issue unless the wires were somehow twisted together and crossed.

Old 02-11-18, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
If you want to be considerate, you could always insulate the wires and put a blank plate over the box (if there is one). You could paint the plate. I think they even make some esp for painting, or at least have a finish conducive to painting.

Old 02-12-18, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The odds are if a new landline was hooked up they'd abandon/disconnect any phone cable they couldn't find the other end of.

Old 02-12-18, 03:50 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
marksr's correct. Old lines would not be used. can't trust what condition they might be in . However you might want to maintain the in-house wiring and make it available. If you're going with a cable VoiP service, you can use the house wiring to use portable phones. If you're just going with cellular then it won't matter.

Old 02-13-18, 10:36 AM
D
Thanks for replies, everyone. I have removed the phone, tucked the wires inside
the wall, and put a blank plate over the box. Sometime, I might remove the plate and patch the hole and paint over to erase all visual signs of the phone installation.

The photo shows how it looks now.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: