Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of vinyl,wood and metal windows?

Old 03-06-03, 09:34 AM
spoony
Visiting Guest

What are some of the pros and cons of the different window materials? I am used to wood and know it wears well if properly cared for. While at the local hardware megalamart they pointed me towards vinyl stating that it would out wear most anything. I sure liked the price. But most the plastics I have around me break down considerably after some years; wont the vinyl in these windows do the same? I have three windows I will be replacing and am some what concerned about outside noise and thermal performance?
Thanks for your help: spoony

Old 03-06-03, 02:58 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Vinyl used in windows has two things going for it.....one, it's thick and that alone resists the tendency of plastic to break as it ages, and two, they add UV inhibitors to the mix to resist "aging".

That said, one area of vinyl windows that I don't like is when they make a "welded" sash, they use a thin keeper strip to hold the glass in the sash. That strip, being thin, does NOT always age well and replacing the glass in an older welded sash can be tricky to say the least. This is another one of my "why you shouldn't buy a "welded" vinyl window" arguements.

The upside of vinyl is the total lack of painting.

The best of both worlds in my opinion is a wood window clad with vinyl on the oustide.

Metal windows I just flat have no use for.

Old 03-06-03, 03:48 PM
spoony
Visiting Guest
Tn...Andy

Thanks Tn,
Do all vinyl windows have a welded vinyl sash or are some constructed better then others? What brands should I look into?

Old 03-06-03, 03:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also recommend good quality vinyl replacement windows. for the same reasons as Tn...Andy. Don't think we're supposed to recommend by brand name around here, but I would suggest that you spend an evening surfing the websites of various window makers, I personally recommend Certainteed, but Marvin, Anderseen, Pella, & several others make good quality replacements also.

Aluminum windows are pretty well dated and in my area anyway are only used in sheds, unattached garages and the like.

Wood clad, well yeah they're nice, if ya got the time to maintain them.

That's what's so nice about vinyl, they tilt in for cleaning, never need painting and the good ones are air tight if properly installed.

This would be a good article to read
http://www.doityourself.com/windows/...owsclearly.htm

Old 03-06-03, 09:12 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Spoony, we could debate for hours about whether welded joints or mechanically fastened joints are better in vinyl windows (and nobody's mind would get changed, nobody would be 100% "right", and nobody would be 100% wrong.) I prefer the welded joints, but Andy does make some good points regarding the retainers.

You are in OR -- some brands to look into would include EPI, Amerimax, Simington, ...

Compare the efficiency ratings (NFRC stickers), warranty, as well as the price. Shop around at local glass shops, with window replacement contractors, as well as at the big box stores and local lumber yards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: