Help with choice on A/C Condenser

Old 03-17-04, 10:48 AM
suthoff
Visiting Guest
Help with choice on A/C Condenser

I am having a new a/c compressor installed and have boiled it down to choosing between the Lennox Elite 13 and Amana Prestige 12. Does anyone have any opinion on which is "better" in terms of reliabiliy, quietness etc. It is being attached to an Amana furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You dont say where you are . Are how much do you run the AC.
if it dont run much a SEER of 12 or 13 is ok. But if you runs a lot then Id look at some units that go on up from a SEER of 15.0 to of the tops of a 19.50 SEER.I would not put a new condenser unit on a old AC coil . Also put a new coil in that will match the new outdoor unit ED

Old 03-17-04, 01:57 PM
suthoff
Visiting Guest
I'm in southern california but near the coast. Was advised by my contractor that existing coil is OK (it's 4 years old, installed when furnace was installed, but never used). I was wondering more about brands as opposed to SEER ratings.

Old 03-17-04, 02:17 PM
The SEER is the main thing to look at today on the AC. But if you have the coil .Id go with what you have in the coil Amana. So its all the same if something goes wrong down the line
I like Trane, Lennox , Rheem. ED

Old 03-17-04, 03:43 PM
amana any day over lennox... my 2 cents, i have been a dealer for both

Old 03-24-04, 09:47 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
Either brand is fine, they both make quality equipment. The installation details would be a bigger concern. Ask if the current indoor coil has a (TXV) thermal expansion valve. A TXV is a more energy efficient than an orfice. As for SEER, they can't give to a true SEER rating, by just the outdoor unit. Itís the whole system. You can take a 14 SEER unit and use a cheaper indoor coil and make it a 10 SEER.