a/c annual tune up

Old 03-21-04, 09:49 AM
ritekat
Visiting Guest
Cool a/c annual tune up

My 5 year old central air conditioner, which is outside is due for it's annual servicing and the A/C service company recomends that I have my A/C coils cleaned by acid washing. This is the first year I've ever heard of this being done, is it necessary?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-04, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That has been used for awhile. The stuff is great on coils that are bult up w/ dirt and greese. it's a good deep cleaner.

I would suggest to get it done, and that way the system will work at it's peek.

Old 03-21-04, 12:34 PM
If you keep the air filters clean like new every 30 to 90 days and you have a good air flow from the blower .Id say no dont mess with it. As far as the out side unit goes yes .You can do that.Turn the power off and take a hose to it and wash out the coils good is all. When they service the AC They should check for freon ,oil the motors inside and outside. make sure the drain pan and traps inside are clean.Fan blades are all good and clean inside and outside. Also that the amp draw on the motors and compressor is where it should be.

my .02 cents ED

Old 03-24-04, 08:36 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
They use an acid wash on the outdoor unit, because they can use a garden hose to wash off the acid, if left on it would eat the cooling fins, and reduce the cooling ablity even more than dirty colling fins. Look for your self, look for dirt dust in the cooling fins. They make a non acidic version that works good too. Cost about $8.00 a can. The main thing is to wash it with clean water when done and let it dry for a few hours before tuning the power back on.

Old 03-27-04, 01:36 PM
NIGEL CHRIST
Visiting Guest
Re: a/c annual tune up

Originally posted by ritekat
My 5 year old central air conditioner, which is outside is due for it's annual servicing and the A/C service company recomends that I have my A/C coils cleaned by acid washing. This is the first year I've ever heard of this being done, is it necessary?
We all know that the service company wil want your money o you should double check with another company or a friend. Usually they should last alot longer than a year. My mate Dexter Moon usually checks my systems for me before i pay for repairs.

Good luck

Old 03-28-04, 08:01 AM
5 years old, first time you heard of it? yes, have it done. i think every year is a little much in most cases, but every 3 for sure. you will be amazed at what boils out of the coil during an acid wash, even those that look clean will suprise you.

Old 03-29-04, 11:26 AM
binford
Visiting Guest
NIGEL CHRIST what are you doing posting you hate DIY. Are you telling me you didn't notice the webpage address ??