A/C frozen up - ballpark figure on repair estimate?

Old 03-29-04, 06:54 AM
Momto4
Visiting Guest
A/C frozen up - ballpark figure on repair estimate?

Hello!
I've read through a few of the "frozen unit" threads but didn't know if I should put this in one that already exists or start a new so I did the latter.

I turned my a/c on yesterday after putting in a new filter, vacuuming out around the A frame, wiping coils off (they looked clean anyway), took a hose to the unit outside. When I turned it on to see if it was going to freeze up, sure enough it did. My husband said there must be a coolant leak because we had freon put in by a professional about this time last year and it worked fine through the summer and then in November it started freezing up again but by then it was ok to open the windows and eventually got chilly.

My question is, does anybody have any idea on how much it costs to repair a leak? What is involved? How long does it take?

Thank you so much,
Momto4

Old 03-29-04, 08:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
we had freon put in by a professional about this time last year
I would call in the dealer who did this last year. By law, they must find the leak in your system and repair it. So if your system has a leak again, they should repair it since they didn't fix it the last time around.

It can take anywhere between an hour or more to find the leak. Once the leak been found they have to make the repair. Chance are they will have recover the "Freon" from the system to make the repairs.

Old 03-29-04, 08:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Its hard to say here, Its more in just what kind of leak you might have . A big one or small one and where you are. The cost would be in how long it takes to find the leak and fix it. But for sure it will cost less in the long run to have it fixed.

My husband said there must be a coolant leak because we had freon put in by a professional about this time last year and it worked fine through the summer
Can be wrong but on that note I would start looking on the low side first "the big line"

Sounds like your doing all the right things to the AC unit that you should and can do . But dont run it anymore till you do have it looked at. ED

Old 03-29-04, 08:26 AM
Momto4
Visiting Guest
Thanks for both your replies. I guess it's a good thing I tested it before it got REALLY hot and we still have some tax return $ left.
Definitely am not turning it back on until we get it looked at. I think I'll be buying a few fans tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: