outside unit won't turn on

Old 04-20-04, 03:18 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outside unit won't turn on

When I turn the a/c on in the house the fan (handler I suppose) works but the unit outside of the house will not turn on including the compressor. I removed the cover to take a look, tried to spin the fan to see if it was locked, it was not, I jiggled the wires to see if some were loose, but nothing happened. I can hear a buzz so I assume the unit is getting electric. If the compressor is bad, the fan should still work, should it not? Can you give any advice. I know I will have to hire a tech, but I at least want to have an idea of what the problem might be. I have had a bad previous experience with a a/c company in the past and paid for repairs that I did not need. I would not like that to happen again . Thanks in advance

Old 04-20-04, 03:26 PM
check to be sure breaker is on that is a common problem

is the buzzing coming from the outside unit? if so i would think it is recieving a signal to come on from the tstat

Old 04-21-04, 04:51 AM
M
The "buzz" is coming from the outside unit. The house is fairly old and has screw in fuses rather than the traditional circut breakers. I looked at the fuses and they appear to be ok. Will they be the 30 amp or 20 amp? Thanks for more info

Old 04-21-04, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With hvac4u here. The BUZZ should be that the relay or also called the contactor is pulled in and the unit should run. Check the fuse there for sure should be 30 amp. Put both in new. old fuses do go bad . With what you have here Id put new ones in each year. Turn the AC off at the tstat then put the fuses in then turn it back on

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: