Water dripping out of ac vent

Old 05-12-04, 07:03 PM
dfisher778
Visiting Guest
Water dripping out of ac vent

Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it? Water is only coming out of one ceiling vent and there seems to be some mold or dampness around the vent.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 07:31 PM
Your air handler and coil are in the attic right? If so, your condensate pump is not pumping the accumulated condensation outside allowing the collection pan to overflow or the pan that collects the condensate is rusted out or cracked allowing the condensate to drip down your vent.

Old 05-13-04, 09:01 AM
Wink

Have you checked the condensate drain on the unit? You could have a hole in the condensate pan up there and water running to that vent. Is the air filter clean, coil clean. A little low on freon the coil too cold and that register just sweats a lot. Look at all the above.

ED

Old 05-13-04, 12:08 PM
dfisher778
Visiting Guest
I had the coil cleaned and serviced after it froze up about 8 months ago. The pan is dry. The moisture is only coming through the duct work to the vents I guess.

Old 05-13-04, 12:22 PM
Wink

Now not the pan under the unit that would be the overflow pan. The pan inside the unit is there any water in it. Is the filter clean?

Froze up Where you low on freon then ? Did they say you had a leak and fix it. Are you froze up now and the water is blowing off the coil. When it froze up could it have broken the drain pan there in the unit? You have a lot of IFS here .

ED

Old 05-13-04, 12:39 PM
It is probably accumulated condensation from the winter. If you close the supply dampers or prevent some circulation through the a/c system in the winter on a cooling-only system, it can cause the moist house air to drop its humidity inside the cold duct. Then when you turn it on, the water has to be blown out before airflow is back to normal. It may not be this but since no one else mentioned it, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Ken

Old 05-13-04, 06:02 PM
be sure the "boot", or rectangular to round sheet metal adapter above the ceiling is well insulated. it may be sweating