AC leak onto furnace

Old 05-18-04, 10:23 AM
TimG123
Visiting Guest
AC leak onto furnace

Here is my problem, the floor around my furnace and the inside it get dripping wet when I run the AC. I wonder if it is the drain tube, drain pan or pump that is the problem but I don;t see how to access the pan. I'm told that the coild are on top of the furnace iside the duct work but there is not acces door to get there. I see the drain tube coming out and down to the pump. How do I check the drain pan? Do I have to rip open the metal duct work?

Any suggestions would help. I've replace the filter and the compressor is in working order.

Old 05-18-04, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You say down to the pump Is the pump working???? If you take the line from the coil down to the pump out of the pump will water run out? Did you just put a new filter in when this started??? Was the old one full of dirt???? Any ice on the big line there at the coil??

ED

Old 05-18-04, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may be able to lift the pump off of its mounting screws and put your wet shop vac on the drain pipe and pull all the sludge out. Is there a trap in the drain line leading to the pan? If not there should be.

Ken

Old 05-19-04, 06:14 AM
TimG123
Visiting Guest
Pump

I think the pump is working but I will take the drain pipe out tonight to see. The pump has a tube coming out of it that runs back outside so I assume it pumps the eater entering it back out of the house. I can't see the coils since they seem to be compeltely enclosed in inaccesable duct work. I change the filter after the first flood of water and had the AC off for a day. When I restarted it with the new filter, it still flooded the furnace below the coils and the floor.

I don't know if there is a drain screen or not, would that be at where the drain pan meets the drain tube?

Thanks

Old 05-19-04, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the pump was the problem, you would see water overflowing at the pump. If your problem is in the drain pan under the evaporator coil, the water will all go inside the furnace which is what you said was happening. Remove the pump and put the wet vac on the pipe coming down from the drain in the pan under the coil on the furnace. That is where the blockage probably is. The only other possibility is that if the system charge is low and ice is forming on the evaporator, it may melt and not go into the drain pan. If that was happening, your air flow from the registers would be low and there would be almost no cooling. Try the vacuum idea and you should restore the drain to normal. You may have to do it a few times over the season as more sludge blocks the drain but if you can do it yourself, you aviod a service call every time it happens.

Ken

Old 05-19-04, 07:35 AM
TimG123
Visiting Guest
Thanks

The pump appears to work and the house definitely still cools when AC is running so I'll do the wet vac work in the drain tube. I appreciate your guidance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: