Effectiveness of Super Seal for A/C

Old 05-21-04, 06:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Effectiveness of Super Seal for A/C

I was at the HVAC Supply store yesterday buying a contactor for my neighbor's Carrier Heat Pump when I noticed they had products at the counter called "Super Seal HVACR" and "Super Seal ACR". The cans were white with blue and red lettering. The manufacturer claims it is compatible with all oils and refrigerants, it will seal leaks in condensers, evaperators and lines, and it is even effective in sealing potential leaks in the future. The cans looked similar to little cans of R-12 that used to be sold over the counter to top off automotive A/C systems, but this was specifically for home units. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience using this type of product and does it work as advertised? Also, are there any negative or detrimental effects to the system from using this product? If this is a product that coats the inside of the evaporator or condenser, does it reduce heat transfer, thus making the system less effecient? Has it been know to harm compressors or any other parts of the system? Is the product worth a try to eliminate an extremely small leak in an old system that two HVAC Technicians have been unable to locate? Any information anyone has on this product will be appreciated.

Old 05-21-04, 08:04 AM
It can't be as good as it sounds. I think you hit the main points on doubting its effectiveness. Just like valve job in a can for your car, it probably won't fix much. Can you imagine a liquid that can act like a lubricant (it would have to in order to mix with the oil and not reduce lubricating value), pass through a tiny opening in the orifice assembly or TX valve (without deciding to seal that opening), then turn into something hard enough to hold a couple hundred pounds of pressure when it does find a leak. I haven't even had luck with any of the repair-in-place epoxies that I tried years ago on seam leaks in evaporators. Maybe a call to Copeland, Bristol, or Tecumseh would get info on how the compressor manufacturers feel about it. That could be a start. I wouldn't use it without their blessing.

Ken

Old 06-17-04, 09:48 AM
Kgrygiel
Visiting Guest
Super Seal is very effective

I have used the product and cannot say enough good things about it. I have a 95 Volvo 850. about 3-years ago the AC went on the car. The deal did a UV test on the system and determined that the evaporator had several holes in it. They wanted $1,650 to fix it. I decided that I would go without.

2-years ago I heard about this product from Quest out of Texas. They offered 2 fixs, one for seals the other for seals and metals. It was $30 for one can and I needed 2-cans of refrigerant to chase it into the system so I figured the $56 was worth a shot.

I am in my 3-summer and the air is still blowing icey cold. It is and excellent product.

Old 06-17-04, 10:00 AM
That is very interesting. I am surprised the fix lasted that long and happy that you gave us some real world feedback. In your case, you didn't have much to lose and it seems that there were no adverse effects. Thanks for the information.

Ken

Old 06-17-04, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I for sure dont think you want to try itin a unit that has 410a in it .

ED

Old 06-17-04, 01:38 PM
B
same stuff?

Kgrygiel....Thanks for replying. I was hoping that someone that had real world experience with the product would reply.

Does the Super Seal Product you used in your Volvo sound like the same stuff I described in the message above, that my local HVAC store was selling for the home A/C market?

Old 06-19-04, 05:44 PM
H
warrantys

Keep in mind you have no warranty on any AC parts that have any traces of anything other than refrigerant and oil. Anything that will plug the hole, will also plug the metering device. Do you remember when Zerex used to show the guy punching holes in a jug of that glycol on TV??? That stuff never worked either! When I was a kid, I poured a can of this stuff called tune-up in a can by Castle or Stewart Warner in my brothers 389, 1963 Pontiac Catilina... That pig backfired flames up the carb like a dragon and misfire every 2 seconds...since then that instant fix stuff went right out the window...unfortunately, my wife bought some of that Quick & Brite on TV with the miracle TV cleaning, and sure enough, that stuff cleans no better than plain water. So if it sounds too good to be true, make sure it has a money back gauranty , and keep your reciept,.. and return it when it fails, problem is,.. you may end up replacing all the piping, inddor unit and outdoor unit as well...they'll have a disclaimer on the can for any consequential damage as a result....I'd stay away from it.

Old 11-21-06, 09:07 PM
G
Follow up

So have you tried the HVACR product on your home AC yet?
Originally Posted by beaver
I was at the HVAC Supply store yesterday buying a contactor for my neighbor's Carrier Heat Pump when I noticed they had products at the counter called "Super Seal HVACR" and "Super Seal ACR". The cans were white with blue and red lettering. The manufacturer claims it is compatible with all oils and refrigerants, it will seal leaks in condensers, evaperators and lines, and it is even effective in sealing potential leaks in the future. The cans looked similar to little cans of R-12 that used to be sold over the counter to top off automotive A/C systems, but this was specifically for home units. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience using this type of product and does it work as advertised? Also, are there any negative or detrimental effects to the system from using this product? If this is a product that coats the inside of the evaporator or condenser, does it reduce heat transfer, thus making the system less effecient? Has it been know to harm compressors or any other parts of the system? Is the product worth a try to eliminate an extremely small leak in an old system that two HVAC Technicians have been unable to locate? Any information anyone has on this product will be appreciated.

Old 11-22-06, 03:36 AM
I doubt you'll hear anything from The Beave on a 2 year old thread.

Some reports say it seems to work but most wouldn't try it unless the system has been condemned because of the leak. If the leak is repairable just repair it.

Old 11-22-06, 01:44 PM
S
I have put it in a few units. out of warranty with leaking evap coils.

Seems to do the trick, and it is cheaper than replacing the coils.

It stays a liquid in the system, and seals when it is exposed to air.
Kinda like blood, liquid inside then drys up on the outside. Not exactly but you get the idea.

Old 11-23-06, 06:38 AM
B
I have to tell you, this stuff works great. I used this in an older unit where none of the professionals could find the leak and guessed it must be in the evaporator because they couldn't find a leak anywhere else. They all, of course, were happy to "gas and go" and to quote a completely new system for me. Well, as a last resort, we tried this, installed in September 2004, and the system has been perfect ever since. I have no proof that this will work this well in any or all systems, but if you are one step away from replacing the unit, it's probably well worth the $40 gamble to give this a try.

Old 03-27-09, 08:38 AM
C
Thumbs up Super Seal Experience

At the end of the Summer, '05, my '97 Jeep Wrangler developed a bad freon leak. After adding a couple of cans of freon only to lose them, I tracked down the actual leak. Apparently, a retaining clip for the air filter was loose and over who knows how many miles had abraded a visible, almost 1/16" hole in the low pressure line. I priced a replacement line (approx. $120") and being the cheapo I am, decided to try Super Seal without really having much hope. Much to my surprise, the product actually sealed that huge hole. And now, as we approach the summer of '09, my A/C is just as cold as when my Jeep was new. I continue to be amazed that the product worked! I've told a couple of friends about my experience. I think I purchased the Super Seal kit from Walmart but I told my friends it's not carried there anymore. Indeed, it was my thinking that since it's not there, that the product was discontinued, probably because it may have caused more problems than it solved. Nevertheless, I find that it IS still available from many sources. Google it and you'll see.

Old 03-27-09, 06:22 PM
H
Omg!!!

If this stuff hardens like a rock when exposed to air what will happen to the system if for some reason the unit needs a new control down the road and the tech recovers the gas and opens the system to install a control/ repair a flare etc....this stuff will rock up inside the piping, compressor, controls orifice ...What a mess!
....If you think a leak is expensive, wait till you replace the car AC from compressor to accumalator....the only thing that would survive that would be the fan motor....think about it...a line breaks and the charge is lost, air hardens the product...WOW!
ask any tech how many times he got to the site and the AC had no gas and exposed to air? Thats fixable but not with that stuff in it....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: