Old York contactor problem

Old 05-30-04, 04:59 PM
Rockin Rod
Visiting Guest
Old York contactor problem

Hey guys, thanks for all the valuable A/C help. I have troubleshot my a/c problem to a contactor with one bad pole-the negative one. The 28 VAC sig. is good from the t-stat, and the contactor pull-in relay is working. My big question is "Can I hotwire the negative side of the contactor to get me through Memorial Day weekend?"

The negative contact of the contactor is missing the contact plate and the spring, but the positive connects as expected, when the 28 VAC sig is present. I direct wired the contactor to the furnace x-former to ensure it works on the red side.

What da' ya' say, guys? This 95 degree 98 percent humidity is killing everyone here in Texas.

BTW, this is an '80 model 3 ton that I have babied to work decently.

Old 05-30-04, 07:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'negative side'. Ac voltage doesn't have a positive and negative and on a 240 volt appliance, both wires carry 110 volts. If you are saying that you have a single pole contactor and the problem is on the unswitched pole, yes you could wire it direct from one end to the other. If your problem is with the switched pole and you direct wire around it, your outdoor unit will run constantly. That could damage it if the indoor unit isn't running when the outdoor one is. If you switch it on and off,, you can get by for the weekend but be careful working around that contactor. If it is a single pole, there is always 110 to the fan motor and compressor even when the contactor isn't energized.

Ken

Old 05-31-04, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With Ken here. Lots of AC units only kill 1 leg of the 220volts in them so If you work on it look out the 110V that is still hot there can get you.

ED

Old 05-31-04, 08:22 AM
Rockin Rod
Visiting Guest
I understand the safety concerns. I have service breakers right above the unit, and I always check a circuit with a meter before I touch it. I guess it's all those years of working on Bombers.

Yeah, I stand corrected. No neg on AC. I guess my brain got stuck on the wire being black. Essentially it is a DPST switch. One pole has no contact left at all. The other pole is functional, and the 24 VAC from the t-stat energizes the relay as advertised. So if only one side of the 220 VAC circuit is energized constantly, will that hurt anything? When the t-stat calls for cool, the other leg of the switch connects, and the circuit is complete.

I hope that explains it better. Thanks for the help.

Rod

Old 05-31-04, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No harm there at all. Some units only use a single pole contactor anyway. It will work like normal. Replace it as soon as possible though.

Ken

Old 05-31-04, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

So if only one side of the 220 VAC circuit is energized constantly, will that hurt anything? When the t-stat calls for cool, the other leg of the switch connects, and the circuit is complete.
No as I said lots of unit work that way. open and close on just one leg of the 220V and let the other leg stay hot all the time.It will be just 110V to ground

ED

Old 05-31-04, 08:39 AM
Rockin Rod
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Woo Whoo! I'll get it hooked up soon. Much appreciate all the help. As repayment, here's a giggle. My wife got so PO'ed about trying to sleep in the heat, she went and slept with my daughters in their clubhouse I built them. Of course, it HAS A/C! Darn, I was left to sleep by myself. But thanks to Te-killya, I slept fine

Old 05-31-04, 01:48 PM
Rockin Rod
Visiting Guest
Working great all day! Thanks! I have an appliance place where I can get a new contactor. I will get one Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: