Freon leak - repair or replace?

Old 06-09-04, 12:48 PM
bkoestler
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Freon leak - repair or replace?

I was having a problem with my AC leaking water and had someone come look at it. They told me that the freon level was very low and recharged that (2 pounds). Apparently there is a leak somewhere. He said they charge $325 to find the leak and the 99% of the time it is one of 3 major parts that needs replaced and would cost between $1200 - $1500. He said we should decide if we want to proceed with that or just buy a new unit. Ours is 8 1/2 years old and I don't know what kind. He said it was a contractors cheapie unit. Does this make sense. Is it really usually that much to repair a leak? Thanks!

Betsy

Old 06-09-04, 12:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
325 to find the leak sounds high, especially coupled with the repair. i have seen MANY leaking indoor evap coils at this age . what brand is the equipment?

Old 06-09-04, 12:59 PM
bkoestler
Visiting Guest
Not sure what brand. The repair guy said he didn't even recognize it or know what kind it is.

Old 06-09-04, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
that is not a good sign. and he wants 325 to find a leak? call somebody else. give us the info off of the tag and we will know.

Old 06-09-04, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With hvac4u call some one else.
the leak and the 99% of the time it is one of 3 major parts that needs replaced and would cost between $1200 - $1500
Now you have a outdoor unit called the condenser this has the compressor in it. then you have a indoor A coil. that is all the major parts I know of and that make just 2.
Is this the first time you have had to put gas in it?Most of the time of late it has been the indoor A coil.

ED

Old 06-09-04, 02:19 PM
bkoestler
Visiting Guest
leak

This is the first time we have ever had anything done to it. I don't think he was lying. It has fixed the problem and the air is running great right now. Just don't know how fast or slow the leak is and how long it will last.

Old 06-09-04, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Then it sounds like the leak just started. He could have put a little dytel in it now so when anyone comes back it might show up the leak.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: