Icing of Central Air Conditioner Line

Old 06-21-04, 12:22 PM
missjean
Visiting Guest
Angry Icing of Central Air Conditioner Line

Three days ago my central a/c unit was professionally cleaned and R-22 was added to the system. Two hours after the technician left, the system stopped blowing cold air, and the line leading from the house to the compressor iced over. If you turn off the system for about ten minutes, the ice melts, but will come back after about one hour of run time. The system was operating well before he added the freon. Is it possible to add too much freon to a system (over charge it), and if so, what can be done to get the system working again? HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 12:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You just had it worked on . GET HIM BACK NOW. If its all clean and ok low freon. Could be he contaminated the system when he worked on it.

ED

Old 06-21-04, 02:37 PM
One thing I see often is that the O-rings in the service caps get lost and if the schrader leaks, it takes no time at all for the system to go low on charge.

Ken

Old 06-21-04, 02:42 PM
I'd say the guy screwed up and left the system with a leak. That's why the lines ice over.

Old 06-21-04, 06:39 PM
missjean
Visiting Guest
Question

Thank you all for your replies! I called the service technician on Friday afternoon, but didn't hear from him until this afternoon! When I told him about the problem he immediately said that he had to check the freon level. He is coming out tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted on the outcome of tomorrow's visit!