Wiring condensor

Old 07-05-04, 02:02 PM
K-ford
Visiting Guest
Wiring condensor

The cover on my Bryant model 561CJX048000AAAA (48,000 BTU's?) condensor says minimum circuit amps: 31.9, maximum fuse: 50, and maximum circuit breaker:50.

Can I use 10 ga stranded wire with a 30 amp breaker at the main panel 40 feet away?

I'm also using a fusable disconnect. Can I put in 50 amp fuses, or am I doing this backwards?

Old 07-05-04, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Check code for where you are. The 50 breaker has to go in the panel and you need # 8 wire for sure. The disconnect dont have tobe fused. Dont put them there. They will burn out in time and there is not a thing wrong with the AC unit.

ED

Old 07-05-04, 10:30 PM
K-ford
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks for the advice.

Sounds good. I can use a 50 amp breaker in place of the 30. I'll have to pick up some #8 wire, though.

I thought the #10 might be the right size because it's rated up to 30 amps, (close to 31.9), and the connection terminals at the condensor look to me like they are intended for either crimp-on female spade-type connectors, which I could only find as big as 10/12, or a solid copper wire hooked under a pair of screws with square washers, and I could only find solid #10, but not solid #8. Anyway, I removed the screws and used them to installed a pair of compression clamps for the #8 wire.

Ultimately, my electrician will do the finish work, but I'm trying to get things ready for him. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-04, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed is right. If it says MINIMUM 31.9, 30 would not meet the manufacturers requirements. If it were me, I would use a 40 amp breaker because you are right in between the min and max but a 50 is OK too. Either way, you still need the #8 wire and the setup you made is far better than a crimp-on connector.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: