Another Leaky York AC thread

Old 07-05-04, 10:09 PM
dunney
Visiting Guest
Another Leaky York AC thread

I checked out some of the other York AC threads, and I think I may have the same problem.

I read to check the pan etc, but I don't know where are all of these things located.

Outdoors, there is a giant white box that says "York" on the side, but the leak is coming from the duct in the ceiling where the air filter is. Where am I supposed to look, and what should I be doing?

Any advice would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-06-04, 03:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should have a white PVC pipe coming out of the unit that runs to either a drain or outside. If you have a shop vac or can borrow a neighbors use that to suck the nasties out and it will hopefully start draining and stop leaking.

Also you do change the filter every 30 - 90 days depending on how dirty it is right?

If this does or doesn't fix the problem post back and let us know.

Old 07-09-04, 07:17 PM
dunney
Visiting Guest
hey, thanks for the reply!

where is the "unit" you refer to (that the pvc pipe would be coming out of)? the big white box is outside, the leak is inside. is it coming out of the white box, or is there another unit in the attic?

i was rooting around the box the other day, and i ran into a nest of hornets. possibly part of the problem? anyway, going back outside tomorrow, with wasp spray to do battle. i'll also check the attic.

i must be missing something. i don't understand how it's leaking from my ceiling in my house when the white box is outside, over 40 feet away.

no, i hadn't been changing the filter. yes, i am a terrible person. i'll start changing it if i can get this thing fixed.

let me know if you understand what i'm talking about, in terms of this pipe or this "unit". Thanks.

Old 07-09-04, 07:51 PM
J
There should be an inside unit to match. That's where the water comes from. The freon is taken from the outside unit, in liquid form, into the inside unit, where it is evaporated back into a gas. This process creates condensation and that's where the water comes from.

You have to find the inside unit. It should be wherever the air filter is. It's probably the same unit as the furnace. Just follow the noise...

J

Old 07-10-04, 04:34 AM
If it's leaking from the cieling I'd venture a wild guess and say the airhandler's in the attic. If the system has been neglected you'll be lucky to get away with just unclogging the drain and changing the filter. You really need to change the filter every 30-90 days and just buy the $5.00 pleated ones.

Good luck and post back soon.

Old 07-10-04, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say where you are . Most codes call for a pan to be under the AC in the attic and a drain pipe from it to outside over a door or window so you will see the water run out and know you have to fix the AC. Like Matt said new filter 30 to 90 days. Was there any ice or frost on the big copper line going to the outdoor unit ?

ED

Old 07-10-04, 09:37 AM
H
air filters

buy a case and leave them near the air handler, availability will hasten the replacement... You have what is refered to as a split system... Its the same thing as the one in the window BUT the noise maker portion is outside. The inside box portion has a blower section with a cooling coil similar to the radiator and fan on a car...only difference is that when warm moist air hits the cold coil, it rings out the water from the air, drying it, and this runs down the coil into a condensate pan and gets drained out through a PVC pipe in most cases,... This usually drips out near the eave somewhere...If the pan or pipe become blocked it will overflow the pan and come out the ceiling, unless you have an overflow secondary pan with a float safety switch. A primary cause is dirty air filter, cooling coil or plugged condensate pan or its drain line.

Old 07-26-04, 12:50 PM
dunney
Visiting Guest
Talking

hey guys! sorry i took so long to post back. thanks for all of your suggestions, but here is what i found:

the drain line from the inside unit in the attic to the gutter outside was cracked. i don't know why, i don't want to know why, but it was. some new pvc, and it was good to go.

about 2 weeks now, and no more leaking. you guys rule! thanks so much!

Old 07-26-04, 01:03 PM
Wink

Didnt say where you are . Could the line be freezing in the winter there??????????

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: