Air went out

Old 07-09-04, 08:11 PM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Angry Air went out

My air went out at about noon today. We baught a new thermostat and installed but it didnt help. We then looked inside a box next to the air and saw 2 fuses. We took the fuses to the store and replaced them. We switched them around a bit to get them to run and they would for a few minutes. Then as soon as the fan started it would shut off and trip the breaker. I have five kids and am desperate it is 98 degrees and my youngest is 8 months old.. We DO NOT have money to replace a 10 ton air unit.. 9,000$... Dont have it cant get it. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-04, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We need a little more detail.
1.Were the fuses for the outdoor unit?

2.What fan ran for a minute before the breaker tripped?

3.Which breaker? "the furnace or outside unit"

Are you saying the unit outside will start and run for a minute then blow the fuses that serve it?

What size are the fuses and breaker that are blowing and tripping?

Old 07-10-04, 08:56 AM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Answers

The fan outside in the squiril cage(?). The fuse inside the house trips when the fan outside turnes on. We have managed to get a few minutes of cool air but as soon as the fan starts to turn the breaker trips.
The fuses were the large outdoor fuses.

"Are you saying the unit outside will start and run for a minute then blow the fuses that serve it? "

Yes but the inside breaker also trips. Im not real sure the fuses ouside are blown. How do you tell?

"What size are the fuses and breaker that are blowing and tripping"

Not sure what you mean? The breaker inside the house is just a breaker in the fuse box. It says 140/240vac 2 pole unit- 45lbs lug tourque- 60/75 c wire.. The ones outside I think they may have had a # on the side. It says 45 amps. Thats all it says... I hope that answers it.

Old 07-10-04, 09:16 AM
Now I understand a little better. It don't sound to good either. Sounds like the compressor is tripping the breaker when it tries to start. You may get lucky and it might just need a hard start kit installed but I doubt it.

If you pull the fuse block out so there's no electric in the outdoor unit you could remove the panel where the controls are located and check for any broken or burnt wires that may be shorting out.

Maybe you could return the stat you bought and use the money to go towards a service call if you don't see anything obvious.

Old 07-10-04, 09:23 AM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Question Hmm

We have sears coming out wensday. Its 98 bucks just have them out and id bet it'll be 500-600 for it to be fixed. I just dont know what else to do?

Update.. Odd thing. My inside fan will blow air if the unit is set to off but if we turn on the air it shuts off?

Last edited by Josemomof5; 07-10-04 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-10-04, 10:11 AM
Wink

Can you turn the tstat to fan on. It should run and help cool some. Dont turn the AC on.

ED

Old 07-10-04, 04:00 PM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Yes

We can turn the inside fan on but if we turn on the AC it trips the fuse. We did open it up and didnt see any burnt wires or anything? I am hoping its nothing to bad. We cant really afford it..

Old 07-10-04, 06:50 PM
Wink

Sounds like they will have to Ohm out the compressor and see if you have a short there.

ED

Old 07-12-04, 08:12 AM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Hmm

Could you tell be about how much that costs to fix. Were in tennessee.

Old 07-12-04, 04:21 PM
what is the model # of the outside unit, and where in tennessee are you?

Old 07-12-04, 05:52 PM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
Answers

I am in murfreesboro. The model is a whirlpool NGPF30DDB01... Could it not be something simple like freeon?..... PLEASE

Old 07-13-04, 03:55 PM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
The unit has to be replaced.

We are waiting on the insurance.

Old 07-14-04, 05:14 AM
I was afraid of that. Good luck. Was the compressor locked up?

Old 07-14-04, 06:57 AM
Josemomof5
Visiting Guest
No

Lighting had ripped it apart inside and out. The insides were burned and compleatly disassembled inside the shell. He said my fan was also shorted out and the freon was contaminated and could possible leak. If I see any steam type stuff coming out I have to call immediatly. It was bad.. Its 3,000 to replace but because it was lighting I only have to pay 500 and the insurance is paying the rest. I had noticed that my lightbulbs popped that day and I thaught nothing of it but that was apparently the lightning..