How to add coolant to window unit?

Old 07-11-04, 01:05 PM
Homeowner100
Visiting Guest
Question How to add coolant to window unit?

I am using a relatively "new" but unused for more than 10 years window unit to help keep cool while getting estimates for a new CAC. (Those contractors are slow!) The window unit seems to be not cooling as much as it did a few weeks ago and I suspect I need to add some coolant/refrigerant. I haven't got a clue how to do this. The old unit probably had freon but don't I have to use some other material now to protect the ozone layer? Where do I get the stuff? How do I know what to buy? How much? How do I install it? Do I have to take the unit out of the window? Is it installed from the inside or the outside?

I suspect this is relatively simple but can't seem to find the info on how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-04, 01:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first off, sounds like you need to call more contaractors out. if they are too busy now where will they be when you have a problem?

as for the window shaker, clean the coils the best you can. to get or use the freon, you have to be epa certified, which you do not appear to be.

a bolt on Bullet Piercing Valve is what most use, i use the solder on type, as there is no factory access on the refrigerant circuit

what refrigerant does it use?

Old 07-11-04, 02:39 PM
Homeowner100
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your quick reply. The window unit is about 15 years old, so I suspect it uses old-fashioned freon. I am not certified but I have a friend who I suspect is and he can come quickly if I need that. Can he do that from outside the house or will he need to do it inside?

The coils are not dirty as I have kept the filter pretty clean. Unfortunately, when I turned the unit off to look and then turned it back on, it blew the fuse and knocked my computer off line, too... I put in a new fuse but now the AC won't turn back on. I hope it has some automatic reset that will reset itself soon.

I am waiting for an estimate from a contractor that I've used for years. The owner has been in the hospital for 6 months and is still recouperating so I want to give him a chance. He sent a technician pretty quickly to get the info on what unit I have, but he, himself, is slow in doing the estimate. When I called another contractor, the technician was sharp but the sales person did not give me estimates for the items I told him I wanted in the combinations I wanted.

BTW, while I have you here, I am considering the Lennox 19.2 SEER. Do I have to have the 2 speed or variable speed blower w that? One contractor has said yes the other has said no. It it is necessary, I would have to replace my furnace, too, which, other than being old, seems to be fine. The old A/C was about 18 years old and the gas furnace a little older. The blower motor works great, and I just replaced the smaller fan and electronics recently. The A/C needs to be replaced because of a freon leak that means that there is a leak in the coils, which I think are aluminum and they say hard to fix. Energy efficiency is a big concern, too, as my old unit is a SEER 10.

Old 07-11-04, 03:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that 19.2 SEER is elusive... only certain tonnages will achieve that and only with TXV, start kit and Variable Speed blower. the entire system, furnace, coil and outdoor unit must be replaced.

a/c compressor will probably come back on once the limit resets.

sounds like R22, have your buddy install an access port . he will have to slide it out of the case into the house