Info on A/C unit

Old 07-14-04, 02:22 PM
Allamand
Visiting Guest
Question Info on A/C unit

I have a couple ? on A/c unit I have and other ? in regard to replacement if needed.

The unit is a 2/93 model AD048GD Comfortmaker using R-22 9lbs 8oz
What "Ton" is this unit? I was told 4ton. I also wondering if that is the right size for my house, so need to know if you take the basment into the Sq ' when figuring out the area of the house. The basement does have A/C duck.
House is 3 level, basment, main and half upstairs, with valted ceilings in the master bedroom and family room(main floor), so does that make a difference in the unit needed?

Also, is it worth replacing one that is 11 years old to save Elc? And would the A-coils need to be replaced as well with a new unit? The return air has a 20"x25"x4" filter and there are now 4 return ducts, one in the basement, 3 on the main, none upstairs. (when I bought the house there was ONE only, and one that had a grill still had DRYWALL over the opening)

I don't use the A/C much, in Wis here, but the wife does, and it seems to run steady when its on, set at only 76-77f when its 86-90F outside. The furnace is a new Train, so the blower is good. Just tring to check my options here.

Also thought of either a roof fan vent, or maybe a atic fan, any thoughts would be great,

-steve

Old 07-14-04, 02:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I would say what you have there is a 4 ton.
For what all you want to do ,Id say yes get new coil and condenser You dont need one up there with a high seer get a just a 14 seer. As for all the up and down Id say two units would be better. Get 3 bids for the job and make sure that they run a heat load on the home there for you.

ED

Old 07-14-04, 02:55 PM
Allamand
Visiting Guest
The bad thing around here, in the north woods is getting even two person to reply to you message and be lucky to have one make it out to the house!

When I moved in I had a Honywell air exchanger installed, took me 3 calls to one place to get them out here and only 2 places to have beds from, its crazy to me, even when my furnace went out, I had to rely on luck to find someone to install it, and then they tipped the A-coil a-way from the drain hole and told me after the fact they didn't know how to install the Elc heat backup

I'd deffently look around more this time, maybe a one man job contractor
Any ways, I had though of what you said in installing a 2nd unit for the upstairs, and then I could use the furnace to heat my attached garage. I'll have to look into the codes and see if a furnace with a/c can be installed in an attached garage, cause that would be an easy run to the upstairs.

Old 07-14-04, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do a load calc online, 50 bucks

where do you live, i may know someone through the internet who can help

Old 07-14-04, 09:40 PM
Allamand
Visiting Guest
Can you point me in the right Dir for that online load test? I live in Grand View, Wi. Close to Duluth, MN

Old 07-15-04, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
www.hvaccalc.com

That will get you there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: