Leaks?

Old 07-20-04, 01:32 PM
jcruz1027
Visiting Guest
Leaks?

About two weeks ago my neighbor (we live in a Townhouse and share a common wall) asked me if I could check my house for any leaks because he's getting some water.

I checked around my house and couldn't find anything. Finally I went over to his house to see where the water was coming in from. Its pretty right were my A/C unit is. So I checked my unit and bam! Found about 10 inches of water in the sheet metal bottom of my unit. I cleaned the water up and everything visible dried out. It turned out my drain line was clogged. Cleaned that out and no water has been spotted since. My neighbor has said that he isn't getting any new water but that his carpet and baseboard have this continued low level dampness that he can't get rid of.

Could my A/C still be leaking? We're trying to solve this without calling out the "pros" and costing us money. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

JC

Old 07-20-04, 03:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sure it's possible that it's still leaking. You just need to check your unit very well. It's probably just residual. How long has it been wet? Put a fan on it for a day or so and see if it dries out.

Old 07-20-04, 05:29 PM
Wink

With the pad that is under the carpet and such .it takes a long time to dry out any water there . That is why they unhook the carpet so a fan can blow under them to help dry out. I think you unit is ok now but its going to take a long time to dry everthing out. "Been there done that"
Push the AC lower so it will run more to help. His also and the fan on 24/7. You might want to look into a EZ Trap overflow cut off switch and put it on the drain line there. that way this wont happen again on you. In fact its code for down here now on all units.

ED

Old 07-20-04, 07:30 PM
jcruz1027
Visiting Guest
See thats the thing. It hasn't been wet, just a low level dampness. he's freaking out cause he's trying to sell his house. The dampness doesn't come through the carpet just the pad under it. But its had this low level dampness for about 2 weeks now. I keep telling him its residual cause it was like 10 inches of water at the bottom of my unit so I'm sure the wall & insulation got soaked.

I will go ahead and leave my unit on 24/7 and see if that helps. I actually replaced the PVC pipe of a drain line with a clear hose looking thing and I've been religiously watching it making sure its flowing out into the bigger drain.

I've even put a towel between my unit and the back wall and haven't gotten any dampness.

He's offered to have someone come out and look at my unit and if there is nothing wrong with my unit he'll pay for the guy's visit. Just from what I've seen I honestly don't think its a problem anymore but I guess I should just take him up on his offer and see what happens. My unit is the original unit and my townhouse was built in 1986. It was a rental before I bought it so I'm sure the unit didn't get the attention it deserved.

One last question. I did have someone come out in April of this year to perform an annual check on my system. He even took the time to clean the coils and everything. Is the blockage something he should've checked for?

JC

Old 07-21-04, 04:52 AM
I cleaned mine at the end of May and stepped on wet carpet in the basement from a clogged condensate drain last week. That gunk can build up quick sometimes. If you pour a solution of bleach water down it every so often it will keep it clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: