Does this mean my condenser is shot?

Old 07-22-04, 06:59 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Does this mean my condenser is shot?

Follow up from my previous post: My AC was not working, just a hum. I spun the fan with a stick and it fired up, but no condenser. After sitting off for 10 hours, I turned on my AC, got the fan going with a stick and the condenser still didn't come on. In searching threads I learned if the fan comes on after pushing it with a stick it is likely the capacitor. Will the capacitor be responsible for the condenser not coming on too? I plan on replacing the capacitor tomorrow. Again any advice is appreciated.

Old 07-22-04, 07:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First of all...I do not recommend the weekend do-it-your-selfer messing around with 230V. It tends to be unforgiving of mistakes.

With that said, my first question to you is, can you tell if it is the condenser (outdoor) fan that is humming or the compressor? Is compressor running?

Is your unit a heat pump?

Old 07-23-04, 03:50 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Seeburt,

I can't tell what is humming, but the compressor is not running. As far as replacing the capacitor, from what I am reading that seems to be a very simple task, and I will shut the power off. If I should not proceed, please let me know. Thanks.

Brian

Old 07-23-04, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The capacitor is an easy way to start. I would try using a hard start kit also. This is an aditional capacitor which is only used during start-up. If your condenser fan is bad, your unit could have gone off on head pressure. There may be a little plastic cylindrical object off one of the copper lines that leave from the compressor. There are 2 lines that come off the compressor, The larger is the suction line, and the smaller is the discharge. The smaller line will have the preesre swithch. The swithch may have a little red button on top of it that needs to be reset. Just push this button. It'll be about 3 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. If the compressor starts and the fan doesn't after re-energizing your unit, you'll need to replace the condenser fan.

Another thing to be careful of is that capacitors can store a charge. I always put a screwdriver across both terminals to verify that the charge has desipated. This is with all power disconnected from the unit and your face not in the proximity.

Old 07-23-04, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's a dual cap it could be holding you out. Could also be a head pressure switch with manual reset.

Even with the electric off you just need to be careful with a cap since they are capable of holding a charge since that's what their job is. I've never been zapped by one but know people that have and it hurts. It's good practice to discharge it before removal.

Old 07-23-04, 11:15 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Thank you to everyone. I replaced the capacitor and everyhting is working great. Thanks again.

Old 07-24-04, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good deal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: