Window A/C unit only blows out one vent!

Old 11-19-01, 02:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry wtf?????????????????

Ok, I took one of my cars(87 shelby charger) to a shop with a broken cv axle.Two weeks later I got a call from the shop, they said they put the axle in, took it for a test drive, and that the tranny just "broke".Well I was pissed for a long time and called the better business beureau on him, that didnt help any....oh well.So I was thinking about scrapping the car.My question is do you think it would be worth the time and money to put a new tranny in one of these things?Is it a difficult removal/install?I am a student at ranken tech in Saint Louis so I have access to specialized tools and advice,.....I'm just questioning myself if its gonna be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 08:59 AM
Vin-Jes
Visiting Guest
Window A/C unit only blows out one vent!

We live in North Florida where it's very hot this time of year. It's been in the high 90's during the day for weeks. We have a window A/C unit that is only about two years old. The filter is cleaned pretty often and we've had no problems with it. During the week we have the timer set to come on in the afternoons when we get home. So it runs at 66 degrees from 4:30 p.m. till 6:45 a.m. the next morning. On weekends our A/C runs on about 66 degrees all day, all night. I noticed this morning that our cottage didn't seem as cool as it normally does. Putting my hand in front of the vents I noticed it's blowing out the left vent but not the right vent. It was happening both when the A/C compressor is running and when we have the fan on.

When we shut it off, we heard a cracking like sound from inside. Sounded to us like something was frozen so we just left it off to defrost. I think this has happened before when we first got it, but I can't remember. Anyway before we turned it off and unplugged it we went outside and looked into the vents at the top of the unit and we saw the fan running so we thought it was ok.

For now we have it off to defrost it. But if something were frozen, why would it blow out one vent and not the other?

Thanks

Old 07-25-04, 01:00 PM
Wink

If you saw ice or frost in there . Then its low on freon or the face of the coil has dirt on it and the air cant get out the one vent. Let it off and defrost then try just the fan see if you get air from both vents if you do it low on freon.
Also you would do better with the AC to let it on all day say set at 80o and then push it down when you get home. ill b et after a time and the home gets dry you wont have to push it down the 66o

For now we have it off to defrost it. But if something were frozen, why would it blow out one vent and not the other?
the ice started on that side of the coil or the dirt is on that side of the coil. That lets the air out to that vent .

ED

Old 07-25-04, 01:05 PM
i am with ed

i bet the coil is dirty

Old 07-26-04, 09:35 AM
Vin-Jes
Visiting Guest
followup

After being off two hours yesterday I started it right back up and it was fine. Are you saying it would still need freon? As for the ice or frost, we didn't take it apart to get that far in there to check. But we did "hear" it when we turned it off.

So should we take it apart and check the coil or the freon?

Also, we will set the A/C a little warmer and turn it down when we get home.

Good idea.

Old 07-26-04, 10:32 AM
Wink

If you had air out of both vents,after it was shut off. Then it sure sounds like low on freon. The coil there will ice up after a while and that will not let the air get through.You cant do anything about it. You have to be EPA to work on it to put freon in it. So take it into a AC shop there, wont cost as much if you take it in.

ED