hot in nevada

Old 07-25-04, 06:28 PM
srad
Visiting Guest
hot in nevada

i recently had a recommended hvac guy come to the house. It appeared that someone tried to jump my fence and landed on the top of my ac unit outside and damaged it. He replaced the 5 ton compressor with another 5 ton compressor, the run cacitor and condensor fan motor, and added freon. The problem that I am having is that the air will be nice and cold for about twenty to thirty minutes (this time decreases as the day gets hotter) and then warm air blows out. The fan continues to run because the temperature that has been set has not been reached, so then the house warms back up the amount it was cooled off if not a little more in the late afternoon...He has been back and someone else has come over and the freon was checked each time, so there are no leaks. It seems like the compressor is exhausiting itself and quitting. Also, I noticed today when the cold air stops, the outside unit makes a noise like a school bus stopping (the sound of air brakes). I feel like the compressor may be faulty and would like to recommend that he change it out again if that is what the problem sounds like. Any suggestions? (the temp inside gets up to 95 by late afternoon)!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-04, 06:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is this thing? How in the world did someone landing on your condensor ruin the compressor or the fan motor for that matter? I could see maybe the fan blade getting bent and damage to the case but that's about it. If it did this much damage the whole thing should have been replaced. Was this paid for by insurance? Those parts added up would get pretty close to the price of a new unit.

It sounds like it's shutting off and that noise could be the pressures equalizing or internal relief is letting loose.

Old 07-26-04, 09:08 AM
srad
Visiting Guest
it is six years old, but i am positive that the person that lived here before (who i know) had not ever had it serviced. So it is probably a combination of time, lack of service and someone landing on it. And insurance is paying for everything but the deductible since someone climbed the fence and landed on it.

Old 07-26-04, 10:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Im with Matt here. If some one jumped up and down on a outside unit. All I can say is the Grill is bent ,the fan blades shot motor could be bad.I cant see how this got the compressor or any of the other stuff. For the cost there you should get a whole new outdoor unit . This would also give you a 5 years warrantyon the compressor.

ED

Old 07-26-04, 12:31 PM
srad
Visiting Guest
it is fixed now. it was the motor attached to the fan blade, the one replaced was malfunctioning, so they replaced again, and everything works great. Insurance is paying for it. Thanks so much for the help!