LOTS of water under furnace & weird noise before a/c kicks on

Old 07-31-04, 09:33 AM
jgruhn
Visiting Guest
LOTS of water under furnace & weird noise before a/c kicks on

I am hoping to get some idea of where to point my husband when he looks at this. When our air is ready to kick on, there is a very weird rushing water sound (almost reminds me of the noise you hear when a toilet flushes). I had noticed a while ago that the hose that comes from the furnace was not hooked up so I put that back on. The noise has continued and there is alot of water coming from under the furnace. Anything I can check? We do have April Air hooked up - is there something on that that should be turned off during the summer (besides the setting on the humidmeter?) Is there a filter besides the furnace filter that needs to be changed?

Old 07-31-04, 12:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

We do have April Air hooked up - is there something on that that should be turned off during the summer (besides the setting on the humidmeter?)
Yes for sure the water to it should be turned off.

When our air is ready to kick on, there is a very weird rushing water sound (almost reminds me of the noise you hear when a toilet flushes
Got me here. Is your filter clean. is there any frost or ice on the coil or lines there? is the big copper one cold and wet ,the little one warm?

ED

Old 07-31-04, 01:38 PM
jgruhn
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the reply. We have never turned the April Air off before!! Is the filter you are talking about just the regular funace filter?

Old 07-31-04, 01:52 PM
Is the filter you are talking about just the regular funace filter
YES sure is

Old 08-01-04, 05:31 AM
Couple things here.

1. The hose you put on? Did it have a trap in it? (If it don't have a trap it can very likely make noise and not drain properly.) How did it hook up?

2. With alot of water under it your either clogged, freezing up, or the condensate pan is cracked, or the hose you hooked up isn't sealed good and is leaking.

If the filter or coil is dirty you could be producing more condensation than normal also. You guys just need to get in there and see where the water is coming from.

Old 08-01-04, 07:23 AM
Wink

We do have April Air hooked up - is there something on that that should be turned off during the summer (besides the setting on the humidmeter?)
Ill bet this is what you hear. Could be where the water is comeing from. Did you turn the water off yet?

ED

Old 08-02-04, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Ill bet this is what you hear. Could be where the water is comeing from. Did you turn the water off yet?

ED
Very well could be. If I ever get the vise grip off my wallet I will replace the water solenoid on mine that's stuck open constently sending water through my April-Air.

Old 08-04-04, 12:18 PM
jgruhn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for attempting to help!!! MORE questions!!!

Originally Posted by mattison
Couple things here.

1. The hose you put on? Did it have a trap in it? (If it don't have a trap it can very likely make noise and not drain properly.) How did it hook up?.
The hose was just a hard plastic hose that comes out of the side of the furnace and runs to the hole that has our sump pump in it. I dont think it has a trap on it. It actually looks quite generic

2. With alot of water under it your either clogged, freezing up, or the condensate pan is cracked, or the hose you hooked up isn't sealed good and is leaking..
I dont think the water is coming from the hose not being hooked up right because the water is coming from under the furnace not where the hose is.
If is is clogged or freezing up, would the air still work properly because I havent had any problems with the house keeping cool? Where is the condensation pan located?

the filter or coil is dirty you could be producing more condensation than normal also. You guys just need to get in there and see where the water is coming from.

Is the coil something I should be cleaning? To be honest, we have had this furnace since 01 and have not really done any maintenance on it. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and have someone come in and give it a good check=up

Old 08-04-04, 12:19 PM
jgruhn
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc

ED
We turned it off on Sunday and we are still getting lots of water coming out. I was hoping that is all it was. I wonder how long it takes to get all the water out.

Old 08-05-04, 04:40 AM
The condensation pan is located under the indoor coil. If it hasn't been serviced since 01' it would be a good idea to have it done. You can probably remove the front panel of the indoor coil yourself and inspect it and even clean it. What brand of system do you have, some have had issues with plastic condensate pans cracking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: