2 Thermostats??

Old 08-09-04, 07:26 AM
LITC
Visiting Guest
2 Thermostats??

I had central air put in when I added a room to the 2nd fl 2 yrs ago. It cools great upstairs but the 1st level is always at least 5-7 deg warmer, much more if my wife is cooking. I believe there just are not enough registers downstairs (4 down, 6 upstairs). Especially only 1 in the kitchen (I asked the installer when he did the job if that was enough and he assured me it was, the house "would balance out"). The installer has made many return trips trying to damper etc. to balance things out, to no avail. Anyway, my question is this, the thermostat is upstairs, I suggested to the installer that it be moved downstairs but he said it would not solve the problem since the 2nd floor is traditionaly warmer I would now have the reverse problem. I was wondering if it was possible to have both a downstairs and upstairs thermostat connected to the unit and have a switch installed to sort of "toggle" back and forth between the 2 depending on what part of the house was the warmest at the time? Plausable? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You dont say what its like in the winter?????
But yes if you want you can put another tstat down stairs.
Run the R wire to a SPDT switch then to each tstat. This will let you run off one tstat or the other.
Have you tried the fan on 24/7 first and see if that helps

ED

Old 08-10-04, 04:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold air falls. If it's cooling the upstairs good and it's warmer downstairs putting the stat downstairs will allow it to run longer to cool the lower floor.