A/C Auto shutoff

Old 08-14-04, 01:26 PM
roadtrip
Visiting Guest
A/C Auto shutoff

I live in Central Florida (survived 80-100mph winds last night). My problem is totally unrelated to the storm.

I have an Trane indoor a/c unit located in a closet. Under the filter unit, there is pvc piping that comes out of the unit, and at the end of the pipe is an electrical "plug" that has a cutoff on it when the water level in this pipe fills up. Several months ago, an a/c tech told me "Save yourself service calls, buy a water vac and clean out this pipe, and the drain pipe outside, to avoid problems".

I did, and have been doing so, but the last few days, this shutoff has been happening 2-3 times a day. He told me to suck the water out, but I saw on another thread to blow into the pipe. I'm just concerned where the water goes.

Any idea what might now be the cause of this constant shutoff? And also...I have owned 3 homes here in Florida, all built after 1990, but this is the only one with this indoor switch and water valve. It seems very antiquated, like having the water pan under the old refrigerators. Any way to eliminate/bypass this?

Thanks very much for any assistance/advice.

Old 08-14-04, 03:38 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The device has 2 wires going to it? Shut off all the power to both the indoor and outdoor sections of your a/c, cut the wires, tie the two coming from the unit together, turn everything back on.

Old 08-14-04, 04:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Thats in there for the new code down here. Id say you are not getting the drain line and the P trap there clean also the drain pan inside by the coil. Suck from outside and blow from the inside pan. The switch worked like it should. So find out why it got the water to it to shut the AC off. If you cut it out you can end up with water all over the floor . Try and run water from the pan to the out let of the drain. Also a 1/2 1/2 mix of water and clorox will help get the yuck out . The filter and coil are clean here for sure?

ED

Old 08-14-04, 06:14 PM
roadtrip
Visiting Guest
Gentlemen, thanks very much!! While I love the cut the wire idea, I do understand what the ramifications could be.

Funny thing...I recently switched to the thicker, NaturalAire filters, and after I posted I wondered if maybe this could have something to do with it. I decided to put back the standard, "basic blue" buck ninety-eight filter and ever since my post, the system has worked fine, cycling as normal.

I will try the clorox mix as well tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 08-15-04, 05:32 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Your comment about the filters is interesting. The thicker filters increase the negative staitc pressure at the drain pipe opening in the unit which may have been disturbing the postion of the of the float switch. If you want to switch to the thicker filters, you'll have to increase the size of the return air grill and possibly the ducting to accomodate the increased resistance to airflow imposed by the thicker filters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: