Split System Carrier System not cooling

Old 08-21-04, 06:10 AM
ewsb
Visiting Guest
Split System Carrier System not cooling

Our system is suddenly not creating cold air. (System is 4 years old) The coolant pipes from the outside condensing unit are condensing (almost looks like 1 is freezing) and have a small amount of water dripping from them. The air flow is also lower than normal. What can I do?

Last edited by ewsb; 08-21-04 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You probably have a plugged air filter inside. Little air flow past the cold evaporator coils will mean poor cooling inside the house.

Old 08-21-04, 08:52 AM
ewsb
Visiting Guest
Furnace air filter or in the evaporator?

I have changed the air inflow filter on the furnace side - still no impact. What else could I do?

Do you mean inside the evaporator unit? I didn't know there was something there. I will open it up.

After turning it off for an hour. When I restart the unit, it does deliver cold air for a few minutes before slowing down the flow and then not delivering any more cold air.

Last edited by ewsb; 08-21-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 09:37 AM
ewsb
Visiting Guest
Evaporator COil frozen

I have opened the housing and the evaporator coil is frozen in ice. Does that give a better indication as to what may be wrong? SHould I start the furnace to unfreeze that?

Old 08-21-04, 09:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't start the furnace to thaw it. Just run the indoor fan for a few hours. If the coils and filter is clean call a tech it's probably got a leak. When you changed the filter how dirty was it and did you leave it off long enough to thaw?

If you've got the coil exposed grab your wifes hair dryer and thaw it with that.

Last edited by mattison; 08-21-04 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to add.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: