water leaking from central air unit

Old 08-24-04, 05:06 PM
2dv143
Visiting Guest
water leaking from central air unit

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have a question regarding our central air unit. We had our a/c on the whole time up until sunday evening when we noticed water leaking from the base of the unit. The part located above of this unit felt frozen so we turned the a/c off. There was no leak noted on monday , but today (tuesday) i noticed it leaking again in the base. Is this still condensation ? The weather was kind of humid today...it started to leak at the same time it was humid outside...please help!!! Thanks..........dv

Old 08-24-04, 10:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The coils normally condense water that falls down into a drip pan. That pan is supposed to drain somewhere. Sometimes it drains to the outside onto the ground and in other cases it's to the sewer line somewhere. When that drain gets plugged up with rust or alge the pan overflows and the water falls to the floor beside the A/C unit. It's the worst when it's humid outside. You solution will only come when you find the plug in the drain line and clear it.

Old 08-25-04, 04:00 AM
Also have you changed the filter lately? You need to look at the coil closer to see if it's freezing up or not. Check where the fat copper line enters the airhandler.

Old 08-25-04, 06:24 AM
2dv143
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys! Thanks for the response. I will try to locate the drain plug. I hope it works because the a/c was off for 2 days and it started to leak yesterday (while it was still off ) when it was humid out. We have changed the filter a month and a half ago but we will check on that too. I noticed that the coil box if i'm right felt frozen a couple of days ago when I first started to notice the leak that was why we turned our a/c off. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-04, 08:24 AM
A frozen coil MAY indicate that the filter is plugged or perhaps the freon charge is low. Change the filter, fire up your A/C and check on the coil after it's been running for a couple of hours. You will know then if you have troubles that will have to be handled.

Old 08-25-04, 08:46 AM
It started leaking after it had been off for 2 days and it wasn't running when it started leaking?

Do you have a humidifier that could have possibly malfunctioned?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: