ice on AC lines and fan not blowing

Old 09-06-04, 08:30 AM
Visiting Guest
ice on AC lines and fan not blowing

My air conditioning unit is not blowing cold air through the house. I noticed that the blower wasn't forcing air through ducts/registers. Ice has formed on the line to the outside unit that had been running properly I assume. The air filter was quite dirty so I'm going to clean and replace. Should I just wait for the lines to thaw and see if the unit will operate properly. How long shoud it take for the ice lines to thaw? Could the dirty filter be the problem or should I have it looked at by a pro.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 08:53 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Turn off the cooling and leave the thermostat fan auto/on switch set to ONl.

After about 2 hours the ice should be gone and you will hear and feel the fan moving the air. A dirty filter alone can cause this problem. Of course in real life there may be contributing factors.

Manufacturers ALL recommend a regular cleaning and servicing of your equipment every year. If it is time to do so, get it done.

Old 09-06-04, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lynn.

The blower acts if going go on, humms but then stops and never blows any air. Any suggestions?

Old 09-07-04, 03:54 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Can you tell if the humming is coming form the blower motor? Turn the power off to the unit, take off the cover, reach in and see if you can turn/spin the blower wheel. If it seems stuck, see if there are any oil ports for the motor. If yes, try oiling the motor with a liteweight oil like 3 in 1 oil or similar. Also, grasp the motor shaft and see if it moves up and down which would indicate worn bearings. If the motor spins freely, trace the wires to locate the capacitor. Discharge the capacitor with an old screwdriver, and replace it with one that has the same mfd and vac ratings [sometimes you will see the letters uf after a number, it means the same as mfd]. Replacing the capacitor is a cheap fix that sometimes works. One more check, if you have a VOM, check to see that the motor is getting the proper voltage [you'll have to turn on the power for this test, but you knew that, right?]. If all that fails, you will probably need to replace the motor.

Old 09-08-04, 02:12 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Big John's suggestions should be a good start. If you need more help, ask.