Central AC Issue/question...

Old 09-30-04, 07:03 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
Central AC Issue/question...

Hi all,

My first post here. I'm a new home owner. Recently puchased a 1950 sf. front to back split. It has a central AC/heating unit. Bryant. The unit is only 2 years old, from what I was told. Forgive my lack of detail here, but I have a general question.

I noticed right away that the upstairs bedrooms didn't cool nearly as quickly OR AS WELL, as the ground and main levels of the house. The thermostat sits on the main level, so, I can only assume that the upstairs will NEVER get as cool as I would like, unless I set the temp down very very low, and freeze the downstairs areas, to compensate.

The sellers explained to me "Welcome to living in a front to back split". Implying that this is typical with the type of house, and the system installed. Seems odd. They even said in the summer, they would install a window unit to compensate for the lack of cooling in the bedrooms. Forget that, I've dealt with window units forever, one of the bonuses of this house was the new central AC unit.

One thing I've thought of, other than simply closing vents on the lower levels, was to see about having the system split into a two zone system. Is this possible?? How much work does such a thing entail?

Any and all information is appreciated. Thx.

Old 09-30-04, 07:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

One thing I've thought of, other than simply closing vents on the lower levels, was to see about having the system split into a two zone system. Is this possible?? How much work does such a thing entail?
Yes you can but the cost. You could just see a better cold air return on the top floor. Blower on 24/7. and yes close down the lower registers some. Did they tell you it would be cold on the lower floor in the winter????

ED

Old 09-30-04, 07:46 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Yes you can but the cost. You could just see a better cold air return on the top floor. Blower on 24/7. and yes close down the lower registers some. Did they tell you it would be cold on the lower floor in the winter????

ED
I assumed that would be the case ed, with the heat in the winter. But again, at least the thermostat is on the lower levels. Then I'll be battling hot bedrooms on the top floor.

What about the COST??? any more specifics?

Old 09-30-04, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

When your not around where you are ,Cost are so far apart cant say. Did you try 24/7 on the blower??? It helps

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: