A/C Condensation Trap, hot air

Old 09-30-04, 10:41 AM
ScottTDI
Visiting Guest
A/C Condensation Trap, hot air

Hi All,

There is a 3/4" pvc pipe coming fom the cooling area of my Rheem Classic 90 split unit. I assume it is a condensation drip pipe. It connects down the line to another pipe going to the heating unit that I assume is the heat coil condensation drip pipe??? Both pipes have a T at the unit, with the top open and the bottom going to outside the crawl space.

My concern is that when the main blower is going, the top of the T on the A/C drain is blowing air. In heating mode, it is heating my crawl space, and most likely cooling in cooling mode.That seems like waste of a significant amount of conditioned air.

Is this a normal set up? Should there be "traps" on this drains? I am going from memory now, but I do not believe there is a "trap" shaped section of pipe on either drain. Should the top of the T be capped with maybe a small hole to allow drainage. Either way it seems that air should not be blowing out of a drain.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 09-30-04, 12:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say yes you need a P trap on the line for sure. Now as far as air getting out in the crawl space we put registers in the duct to help warm and and get some of the humidity out of down there .It sure helps and cost less in fuel in the long run.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: