Need Help getting fan blade off motor

Old 10-04-04, 03:35 PM
Stephanie1008
Visiting Guest
Arrow Need Help getting fan blade off motor

Any ideas how to get the fan blade off the motor shaft? We have removed the screw and lubricated it, but it will not budge. Any ideas will be wonderful!

Thanks
Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-04, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

There is a fan and blower wheel puller just for this. try a wrenche on the shaft and try to turn the blades. Clean the shaft real good with a fine abrasive cloth. Some times a little heat helps.

ED

Old 10-04-04, 07:15 PM
Stephanie1008
Visiting Guest
Thank you, but...

the fan is about 20+ years old and is really jammed on there or so it seems. My husband tried to get it off for 2 hours tonight with no luck. Would it be easier to buy another blade? Or would it be cheaper to buy the fan blade puller you were talking about?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Old 10-05-04, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've fought pulleys, fan blades, bearings, ect.ect. for hours & hours. The bottom line is, if you wish to remove the item without breaking it, banging your knuckles, or tearing up your tools, just buy the proper tool for the job. I learned that many years ago. With the proper tool you will most likely have that fan blade off in a minute or two without damage. Yea, you hate to spend the money and only use the tool a time or two, but that's the nature of "do it yourself". It's dangerous to assume that you can buy a new anything for something that is 10 or 20 years old. I removed a "stuck" pulley with a torch a while ago assuming that I'd just replace it with a new one when I reassembled the engine. Wrong. The old pulley was a speciality item and "no longer available." I ended up spending over $100 for a fancy replacement from Graingers. A puller to remove it properly wasn't much more than that and I could have gotten the same job done with the proper tool AND had that tool in stock when the job was finished had I taken a little extra time to do the job right. Rememeber, as Tim the "tool man" Taylor says.....every job is the right excuse to buy another tool.

Old 10-11-04, 10:22 PM
bankshot
Visiting Guest
fan blade

are you trying to save the motor??? if so, buy puller. if not, if you can get a hack saw blade behind the blade , cut it off, then use punch or press to get it off. a deep well socket makes a decent press base.