Water in Evaporator Drain Pan/New Evaporator Coil Needed?

Old 10-11-04, 01:04 PM
mchou
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Water in Evaporator Drain Pan/New Evaporator Coil Needed?

We found out earlier in the summer that our evaporator drain pan was full of water and rusted through. We called a technician who had a new drain pan fabricated and and installed. He also blew out the drain lines to make sure they were clear. We had another technician come out for some other work and he noticed that the evaporator drain pan was about a inch full of water (we haven't ran the A/C in about a week). He said that the pan should always be dry and that if it's wet, it's a sign of other problems. His assessment was that the evaporator coil was probably rusted through and leaking into the drain pan (the unit is 10+ years old) since all moisture should escape through the drain line and not fall into the pan. He said that the only way to fix ths problem is to have the entire evaporator coil unit replaced for about $1,400. The unit is made by Carrier.

I have a few questions:
1. Is the technician's analysis correct? Is the water in the evaporator drain pan caused by a rusted evaporator coil? BTW, the technician didn't open up the unit to confirm this.

After the technician left, I noticed that only 1 of the 2 drain pipes coming out of the evaporator unit is connected to the 3/4" PVC drain line. The other drain pipe sits unconnected directly above the pan. Could the water be coming out of this 2nd unconnected pipe and falling into the pan? If I connect this pipe to the PVC line, will this solve my water i the pan problem? I think the first technician who installed the new pan did not connect this second pipe. Oh, the pan itself has a drain line connected to another 3/4" PVC drain pipe.

2. Is there no other way to fix this problem other than to install a new evaporator coil?

3. Does $1,400 sound about right to replace and install a new carrier evaporator coil? The technician said he could do it for about $1,000 as part of a package if we hired him to do the other work we originally called him for. The unit he would install is the Carrier Performance Series Coil - Model CE3A

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by mchou; 10-11-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 05:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'm no HVAC expert, but here it goes... The only thing inside the lines is Freon and possibly some oil. If the coil leaks the gas escapes and evaporates away and the AC no longer works. Water in the catch pan comes from the operation of the AC (condensation), a water leak (a leaking bathroom above...). Your unit may be rusting out from old age and could use a good cleaning and make sure the drains are working properly but I don't see why you need to replace the coil if the unit is working.

Old 10-11-04, 09:38 PM
bankshot
Visiting Guest
pan problems.

from what you describe, the unit mus be in the attic??? the pan the technician spoke of is actually the overflow or emergency pan, since he didnt look inside the unit. this is true, no water should be there. water can stand in an emergency pan for some time depending on the attic weather conditions so that part isnt unusual. there is another pan (primary) inside the unit that the evaporator(cooling) coils set on. this should collect all condensation and send it out a pvc drain line, the one you saw disconnected. the water is probably coming out right there, this should be hooked up. put it in place with a little pvs glue and you should be good to go provided you keep an eye on that overflow pan to make sure primary drain pan isnt shedding water into it..Larry

Old 10-25-04, 01:16 PM
mchou
Visiting Guest
It appears that the drain pan built into the evaporator coil unit is leaking into the overflow/emergency drain pan sitting beneath the unit. The technician said that there isn't a way to fix the built-in drain pan of the unit and that I would need a new evaporator coil unit. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Also, if I replace the evaporator coil unit, should I also replace my compressor or would it be okay to have a new evaporator coil unit working with an older compressor? Does $1,440 sound about right for a new evaporator coil unit and labor (I believe the model will be Carrier No. CE3A).

Thanks,
Michael

Old 10-26-04, 04:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1st I would call someone else and get a 2nd opinion. He cannot condem a coil without looking at it. It could be something as simple as a clogged drain and it's now dripping into the auxillary pan like it should. Or it could be what he claims. But without looking at it you do not know.

If indeed the evaporators condensate pan is bad and the system is 10 years old I would lean more toward replacing the entire system.

$1400 sounds high for an evap swap but if it's in a attic and access is tough the labor may be the reason it's high.

Old 10-27-04, 11:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

[ Cost for a new "blower coil "unit dont sound to bad.High for just a coil. 10 years old????? drain pan leaks. 15 years is about life of an AC set up. Im with Matt I think I go for a whole new AC set up So the coil and outdoor unit match. Get a higher SEER on the new unit. Stay with R- 22 Its good till 2030. That over flow pan under the whole unit. By code here has to have a drain pipe to the outside of the home over a door ,walk way, window. So you will see if water comes out of it and tells you somehing is wrong with the AC up there.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: