Install A/C into 1920 Colonial. One Unit or Two?

Old 11-15-04, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install A/C into 1920 Colonial. One Unit or Two?

I have had some folks come in to give me quotes and I am being told to save money that I should consider having a 3.5 ton unit in the attic and run sheet metal pipes down through some closets to get to the first floor.

I have a few questions with this plan.

1- Is this skiming out?
2- What is the downside other then loosing some closet space.
3- I assume this way I will only have one zone. Would putting a 2nd unit in the basement offset the cost of only haveing 1 zone?
4- I am thinking of putting an addition off the back of the house. Does this mean another unit?

J

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 05:48 AM
If it's a 2 story home I would consider 1 unit in the attic for the 2nd floor and 1 in the basement for the 1st floor. Having 2 zones would be much better.

But to answer you question, I've seen and ran ducts through closets in homes several times to help keep costs down. As for the addition it's hard to say if you would need another seperate unit for it or not.

Old 11-16-04, 03:12 PM
Wink

With Matt here. Is this for heat and cool also or just cool only. You dont say how big are what you have now.
Id go for 2 units one up and one for down. have the down unit set up in size and duct work so you can just add the new part on to it.

ED