New Rheem AC

Old 12-01-04, 06:48 AM
LinT
Visiting Guest
New Rheem AC

I currently have a 3 ton Armstrong AC system. After 35 years of flawless service...it died So now I am getting quotes on a new system. The house was 1600sf and I added on to make it about 2000sf. Some AC techs say to go with 3.5 ton and some say 4 ton..??? I've decided to go with the 3.5 ton Rheem 12 seer system mainly because the inside closet only has a 20 inch opening and the 4 ton wont fit. I live in Central florida. So does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything else i should be concerned with? Is Rheem worth the money? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-01-04, 07:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Down here for sure get 3 bids for the job. Make sure they run a AC load on the home. As I dont know the home hard to say but the smaller one can be the way to go.You want the unit to run a long time for sure here so it works more on getting the humidity out of the home. Down here you should go for a SEER of 14 or 16. What does pay off is a hot water recovery unit on the AC. Im in west Palm and can turn the water heater off for about 7 months of the year and have free hot water .Also it kicks up the SEER of the AC some.

ED

Old 12-03-04, 03:35 AM
heatpumpman
Visiting Guest
I agree wholeheartedly about the load calculation.

A load calculation is the only way to find out for sure what size unit your home needs. If you can't get one out of your bidding contractors, you can do one yourself by going here, http://www.hvac-calc.com/main.asp . A 3.5 ton unit on a 2000 sq ft home sounds like overkill, but that depends on your home. If it does need that size of a unit, I would surely look at spending money to improve the home with more insulation, better windows, etc. Rheem is a brand that I like and I would recommend going with at least a 13 SEER system, that's using a 12 SEER outside unit and a air handler with the variable speed motor in it, Model number begins with a RBHK. Central FL is my original stomping grounds, now living in the panhandle of N FL, and the heatpump works great if all the design parameters are considered. If they are oversized, then drafts are a huge obstacle to being happy with it's performance. Invest in the load calculation or call companys until someone comes out and shows they are professional enough and care enough to do it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: