Armstrong central air units

Old 03-11-05, 08:20 AM
I Are Baboon
Visiting Guest
Armstrong central air units

Does anyone know anything about Armstrong central air conditioning units? Like, are they any good? My wife and I are looking to have central air installed and the contractor we spoke to this morning uses this brand. I've never heard of them and I can not find ANY reviews online. All I know is that they are owned by Lennox.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-05, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Just not the top of the line. Get 3 bid for this job for sure.
look at lennox Trane and Rheem all good. You dont say where you are. AC run is a lot go for a seer of 16 and 80
% on the furnace. long winter go for furnace of 90% and AC seer 14

ED

Old 03-20-05, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Armstrong A/C

Like Ed said, not the top of the line. They are decent "Mid-Range" equipment. I would disagree on the SEER. If you are in an area with long winters, short summers, & would only be using the A/C for a month or two, I would go with something in a 10 or no more than 12 SEER. I don't think you would recover the cost of high SEER equipment in operating expense savings. Is this going to be added on to your furnace or a separate installation? Most, if not all 14-16 SEER rated equipment requires a variable speed blower to reach its SEER rating. If installed on a fixed speed blower, the SEER drops like a rock.

Old 03-25-05, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have installed armstrong

Have installed many armstrong units they are mid range units in price and are reliable they don't have all the electronics and gismos but they are simple and durable besides why pay extra just cause trane has commercials on tv. You can expect them to last as long as any of the big name units. The average family lives in a home 8 years before moving it will last longer than that. Armstrong has been around many years it didn't just pop recently. I guess it's like going to the store to buy honey it's all pretty much the same thing it's just a matter of how much you want to pay for it.

Old 03-25-05, 06:01 AM
I Are Baboon
Visiting Guest
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback here. I appreciate it.

We live in New England, so we're looking at 4-5 months of use. We have gotten three bids. The Armstrong guy came in with a bid that's 30% lower than the Trane and American Standard guys. I can't imagine the Trane and American Standard equipment being that much better than Armstrong.

Old 03-25-05, 06:27 AM
MtnBikerChk
Visiting Guest
HI ALL - I'm Mrs Baboon....

Thanks for all the info. I think we'll want to go with the 14seer unit. Out utility company has a $350 rebate for 14 and up which sure will help.

for the installers.... I've read a lot about how a good installer should use a computer program to come up with the right unit for your house (or something like that) and to get the registers in the right place for proper air flow etc etc... I don't think armstrong guy does that (we know the most expensive quote does)

but on the other hand, our house is only 1040 sq ft.

I guess my primary concern is a good unit that won't break down and need frequent repair.

OOOHHH, I can't wait

Old 03-27-05, 10:44 AM
bird dog
Visiting Guest
Red face bird dog

I sell Armstrong, great mid range value. I have a Armstrong n gas furnace and convention Armstrong ac for 25 yrs, only 1 repair. Armstrong has an extended warranty for 10 yrs, all parts and labor for about$250.00

Old 03-27-05, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Apples & apples?

Something you want to be sure to look at in the quotes is: Are all of the contractors specifing the same size equipment & the same SEER rating? Are the warranties the same? Some local codes require returns in every room (except kitchen & bath) while others do not specify & installers use one central return. A central return is OK as long as all doors to bedrooms etc. are left open. Just remember, you cannot put air into a room is you do not take air out of that room. If you want to do a load calculation yourselves, you can download & run one at http://hvaccomputer.com
The cost is around $50 & comes with tech support.

Old 03-27-05, 04:07 PM
MtnBikerChk
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Grady
Something you want to be sure to look at in the quotes is: Are all of the contractors specifing the same size equipment & the same SEER rating? Are the warranties the same? Some local codes require returns in every room (except kitchen & bath) while others do not specify & installers use one central return. A central return is OK as long as all doors to bedrooms etc. are left open. Just remember, you cannot put air into a room is you do not take air out of that room. If you want to do a load calculation yourselves, you can download & run one at http://hvaccomputer.com
The cost is around $50 & comes with tech support.

Good points...

all the quotes are for 2 ton units. 2 of the 3 said no register in the bathroom - they say its not necessary. They all quoted a central air intake (which I think is fine based on our lay out). 2 of the 3 companies gave us 2 prices - one for a 12 seer and one for a 14. We are asking company #3 for a quote on the 14 (they only gave us the 12) <-- they are the armstrong quote.

I am checking on the warrantees.

thanks bird dog for the second vote of confidence in the armstrong!!