central AC: choosing the right outdoor unit

Old 03-14-05, 10:06 AM
fabio
Visiting Guest
central AC: choosing the right outdoor unit

hi,

i live in the boston area and i have just decided to add central AC in my condo , where i already have hot forced air heating (1,050 square feet, old victorian house, philly style -- first floor plus one bedroom on the second).

i got estimates from people who i believe to be competent but have had an hard time figuring out what is the best outdoor unit to install. they have proposed two different 3 ton ones:

- goodman (ckl36-1h)
- american standard (2A7A1036A)

the latter would cost me $790 more.

i am concerned since in the postings i have read the suggested units are from other brands (rheem comes to mind). my needs:
- limited noise
- energy efficency
- overall quality/ability to last in time.

any suggestion would be appreciated (even if it is only re: other places where i can learn more about choosing the right unit -- i haven't found any website which does these sort of comparisons but i would appreciate to learn more).

thanks!
fabio

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Might trry and look at
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/h.../fullstory.html

Id say what you have there is bottom . Try Trane Lennox Rheem.

Up there go for a seer of 14 . The bids you have there dont say anything about the SEER of the unit. Also did they run a AC load on the home.
Boy a 3 ton for 1050sq ft home it cant run enought to even start to get the humidity out of it.

ED

Old 03-14-05, 01:03 PM
fabio
Visiting Guest
Question

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Might trry and look at
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/h.../fullstory.html

Id say what you have there is bottom . Try Trane Lennox Rheem.

Up there go for a seer of 14 . The bids you have there dont say anything about the SEER of the unit. Also did they run a AC load on the home.
Boy a 3 ton for 1050sq ft home it cant run enought to even start to get the humidity out of it.

ED
no, they did not do an AC load, at least not that i know. they just came over and had a look at the place.

and all they say in the bid is:
'to supply and install a/c components to existing warm air system. to include a 3 ton cased coil, 3 ton condenser and line set and thermostat -- wiring of outside unit and to insulate pipe' (two optionS: one with the Goodman, listed as mid range, and the other with the American Standard, listed as high range).

btw, i wnet to the american standard webiste and the ones that are listed now (the allegiance series) all have different model numbers. it almost seems that the one that i was quoted for (model # 2A7A10361000A is not available anymore).

fabio

Old 03-14-05, 01:43 PM
Id get some more bids on this job for sure. Make sure they write down the SEER of the unit. If not you dont know what theywill put in on you. There are some new but old seer 10 laying around they could try and slip in on you. "Im still like" 3 ton????? You want and AC unit so it runs not just start and stop

ED

Old 03-15-05, 05:43 AM
I totally agree with Ed. The 3 ton sounds about a ton oversized. American Standard makes a good unit but like said they may be trying to sell you one that's been sitting around. Goodman makes a decent unit now but is a little on the noisy side.

Get the 3 bids and insist on a heat load/loss calculation so you're not wasting money. Don't let them sell you super high SEER equipment either. Where you're located 14 should be fine.

Old 03-20-05, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
fabio

In Boston, I would not waste my money on 14 SEER equipment. You probably would never recover the cost difference betwwen a 14 & a 12 or even 10 SEER unit. I, however, am with the other guys on sizing. Three tons sounds like a ton overkill which leads to high humidity & discomfort. As to equipment brands, Goodman is certainly not "Mid-Range" nor is American Standard "Upper End". Some of the nicest equipment I've installed in the past few years is Heil/Tempstar's slant top TCA series. It seems to be well made & is among the quietest around. These, in my opinion, would qualify as "Mid-Range" equipment.

Old 03-23-05, 09:41 AM
Red face

First of all, you need a written heat/cool load calculation from a dealer. Just on the surface, I agree with other posters that a 3 ton seems way oversized for the living area sq footage you have provided. An undersized/oversized AC unit will cause you nothing but problems.I assume you will be installing a matching evaporator coil to your gas furnace(correct?-since you say nothing about an air handler) and that the dealer will verify that your furnace blower is capable of handling the AC condensing unit. The dealer needs to provide you with the SEER rating on the type equipment he is quoting based on the configuration with your gas furnace. You do not mention the age, size, blower rating of your furnace. How much you spend and the type equipment selected may depend on how long you anticipate living in this home. As far as equipment selection, I categorize brands as top of line(Lennox,Carrier, Trane), mid range-good equipment without a large advertising budget, and at the low end builder/budget models. I consider Goodman at the low end. While there may be disagreement from other posters, I have always believed that Am Std equipment was like a Trane but without the heavy duty/fancy cabinetry and certainly would be placed in at least the mid tier. Your dealer should check your ductwork to make certain it can properly handle the AC addition. Moving cold air is different from hot air.I definitely think you should seek several other quotes and I recommend purchasing from only a certified dealer. There are always deals out in the market for last years/discontinued models so keep your eyes wide open. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-05, 04:19 PM
fabio
Visiting Guest
gee! i wish the two companies i have contacted for estimates would have been half as professional to me as you guys! or would have taken the itme to explain the difference btw low/medium/high end equipment, or how all the equipment needs to be compatible as TigerDunes has just done (e.g., nobody ever told me about a matching evaporator coil nor an air handler)! all i got was a $ amount with the words 'installing central A/C' in one quote, and a $ amount with the words 'to supply and install a/c components to existing warm air system. to include a 3 ton cased coil, 3 ton condenser and line set and thermostat -- wiring of outside unit and to insulate pipe'. no additional explanation was provided and my phone calls to try and get more info have been basically ignored.

is it appropriate to ask if there are people here in the boston area that you would recommend and/or that would treat me more professionally, along the lines of the very helpful people on this bulletin board?

thanks, & apologies in advance if the request is inappropriate!