Cool attic room with no windows or outside walls

Old 03-22-05, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool attic room with no windows or outside walls

I own the second and third floor of a two family house. I need to air condition the third floor, which is basically a room that was built out from the attic.

The house has a hip roof, so the room's walls do not border on the exterior walls of the house, except on the upper walls, which are angled with the eaves (i.e. there is an attic crawl space that surrounds the room on all sides). There are two roof windows which open several inches to provide ventilation.

I need to cool this room to make it habitable this summer, and I believe I have two options:

1) Buy a portable AC unit and run the duct to one of the windows. Since the windows are in the center of the room, this would not only look bad, but the unit would also be in the way. I think I would also need to get a custom screen made that would allow the duct from the AC to insert into the window, since the current screen is fixed.

2) Get a split ductless system. I understand the advantages to this, and this is my preference. However, there are some complications. I believe that the condenser must be outside. With the hip roof, there is nowhere on the top of the building where it can be set. I am assuming that I would need to run a 2" vent to the condenser, and this would need to sit in the yard or on the side of the house. I am not clear what the vent looks like or how it would make it from the attic to the condenser. Would it have to run down the outside of the house? Since I do not own or live on the first floor, I also have issues with disrupting the neighbor's space.

Can someone weigh in with a good description of how the ductless might work, or perhaps another idea entirely? I hope that I have explained the situation well enough.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 12:34 PM
Wink

If the roof will take it and code is ok with it we set many ac units on the roof that way. You can build a small platform flat out there on the roof. To set the high side out there. Also for this small of unit I would not want the compressor to have to pump the freon up 3 1/2 floors here.
So I say go with the ductless or get a small ac unit with a blower power coil to fit in the attic crawl space and run the duct there also.

ED

Old 03-29-05, 12:17 PM
A couple of follow up questions

Thanks for the input.

We live in a historic district, so I dont think we would be allowed to put the condenser on the roof. I would have to look into whether we could do it on the side that it not visible from the street.

I believe the rise from the ground to the overhang of the hip roof (where any piping would come out) is about 20 feet, as it is really 2.5 floors, not 3.5. Would this affect your comment about the distance to pump the freon?

Finally, I am not sure that I understand the concept of a 'blower power coil' in the crawl space. Could you give me a little more info?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-05, 02:22 PM
Wink

Yes the compressor could pump the freon up there. Now a blower coil unit is just that it would lay there in the back of the attic and duct work would come off it and go to the rooms. Then there would be return ducts that would come from the room and go back to the blower unit. At the same time the air would go through a filter in it. Call some hvac companys in get 3 bids for sure. they could tell you what you can do there.

ED