What type of copper line to use?

Old 03-22-05, 12:57 PM
Married only to a house!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of copper line to use?

I am having my outside central air conditioner moved around the corner. In order to save a bunch on the labor costs my air conditioner man will allow me to run the new copper lines and low voltage control wire. He will do all of the connecting and charging of the system.

I have to run a 3/8" line and a 3/4" line both 30' Is it a special type of copper line or can I use the copper line they have in rolls at the big box? If not, what do I ask for and where do I get it?

Also, do you insulate both of the copper lines or just one of them?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 02:28 PM
Wink

Get copper refrigeration tubing it will be sealed and dehydrated . You know its clean . You just need insulation on the big suction line is all.

ED

Old 03-23-05, 04:28 AM
Like Ed said, if you just go to an hvac supply house they will have line sets already together and the suction line will be pre-insulated for you.

What you buy at the box store is measured differently than refrigeration tubing. "ACR" tubing is what we use and it's measured by the outside diameter. "Nominal" size is what you would get at the box store and it's measured by the inside diameter.

If all you can get is nominal and you need 3/4" and 3/8" "ACR" you will have to buy 1/4" and 5/8" "nominal" for it to work right.

Old 03-23-05, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Tubing

Do not use plumbing copper. Use only ACR grade tubing. It has been cleaned inside to remove any contaminants left over from the manufacturing process. It is also dehydrated & sealed to prevent contamination. I doubt the big box carries ACR & if they do, do not buy it from an unsealed roll.