White Residue on AC Coils

Old 03-24-05, 01:08 PM
dejesusvp
Visiting Guest
White Residue on AC Coils

In the process of purchasing a home and one of the items of concern was the air condition uinit with white residue (like acid was poured on it) on the coils\grill. Is this a performance stopper and should I be concern\really concern.
Also some of the grill that covers the AC coil has deteriorated and the coil has been exposed (about a 4x6 area). Acording to the inspcetor the AC unit still works but for how long and is this all going to cost me a lot of money to have repair at a later time?

Vince

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Is this the out door condenser unit??? Around salt air??? Can it go out on you "yes and no". How old , whats around it there? Aluminum coils there do get a white residue like on them. Find out the size and ask around there what the cost for a new one is.

ED

Old 03-28-05, 07:34 PM
dejesusvp
Visiting Guest
A/C showing White Residue

I believe it is an out door condenser unit. AC located outside, no to salt air, and unit free from clotter. both units are 7 years old and both show signs of white residue. One of the units is showing the copper coils. Sizes of the units: 3 1/2 and a 2 ton.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-05, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could have been from dogs peeing on them. That will strip a coil down to the copper tubes and leave a white residue. It will take away from the efficiency but I've seen them run like that for years.

Old 04-22-05, 08:19 AM
dejesusvp
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks to all that have replied to my postings.