Puddles in air return

Old 03-27-05, 08:19 PM
pennywise
Visiting Guest
Puddles in air return

I am consistently drying up large puddles that form in the bottom of my air return. This happened before and they replaced the cooling coil. It seemed to fix it, but now it is doing it again. The AC is less then 2 years old. I have never had so much trouble with an AC before. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this? or at least reduce the amount of water that drips? When the water forms on the coils, shouldn't it slide down the coils into the drain? The drain seems clear, but the water never makes it to the drain, just drips directly from the coils. It has been really humid lately, but to me that shouldn't make a difference.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Just what and how is the set up on you unit. Do you have a trap on the drain line? Does water run out of your drain line ok all the time? Is there any ice on the coil now the copper lines going into the coil any ice? Is the small copper line outside by the unit warm the big copper line cold and wet? Is the coil set a little off level so it can drain?

ED

Old 03-31-05, 08:10 PM
pennywise
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Just what and how is the set up on you unit. Do you have a trap on the drain line? Does water run out of your drain line ok all the time? Is there any ice on the coil now the copper lines going into the coil any ice? Is the small copper line outside by the unit warm the big copper line cold and wet? Is the coil set a little off level so it can drain?

ED
Ed,

Yes, the water flows fine out of the drain line. I am not sure what you mean about a trap? If you mean the plug to see inside the drain line, then yes I have one. I have not seen any ice on the coils or the copper lines. The coil is set on about a 45degree angle inside the air handler, but not all the water slides down the coill into the drain. Some of it just drips into the air intake vent, then eventually it fills up the bottom of the vent.

I don't know if this helps but I have the TEMPStar model EBX3600a.
http://www.wholesale-ac.com/shop/sit...t/ebpspecs.pdf

Thanks,
Jason

Old 04-01-05, 02:18 PM
Wink

If you go to that WWW you had did you read that the A models have to have a field installed horizontal kit that available. Have had units like this that the water did come off the coil and they had a pan like that we had to put in. Could be you dont have all there that you should have under the coil to get all the water so it runs down to the drain pan.. You should have a P trap in the drain line right there by the coil. This helps the water get out of the drain pan better.

ED

Old 04-01-05, 05:22 PM
bird dog
Visiting Guest
electra sol

Not sure if you have cleaned your coil with a strong cleaner, if you have buy some electra-sol (for dishwasher/ non straking agent) dilute and spray on coils. This will allow the water to run down and into the tray. Cheap to try good luck.jo

Old 04-01-05, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Water dripping

I have seen this caused by too much air flow. The water can be blown off the coil. What outdoor unit do you have? The fan speed may be set too high for the outdoor unit. The trap Ed was refering to in the drain line should look something like a U with the drain pipes connected to the top of the U.

Last edited by Grady; 04-01-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-02-05, 04:55 AM
You can spray a little windex on the indoor refrigerant coil the one that you said was at a 45 degree angle. With the cover off spray windex on the bottom side of the coil in an upward direction. Only ten pumps from the sprayer as not to saturate the coil and produce bubbles that will lift off the coil when the door is re installed.

This is some thing that should be done in the winter - spring as a tune up.
Also the condencate line should be cleared and flushed. There should also be some drain pan tablets adde to the drain pan. The out door unit needs to be cleaned inside the unit of debris like leaves twigs acorns and such. The out door refrigerant coil needs to be flushed frow the inside out and cleaned of corrosion. The refrigerant level needs to be checked the controls need to be checked. Clean around the base of the unit to keep it from rusting and finaly there should be a light coat of car wax put on the painted parts of the cabinet. Doing this every year will prolong the lif or your unit and give you good service through the years.

Old 04-09-05, 10:58 PM
pennywise
Visiting Guest
Well I set the fan to a lower speed and sprayed some cleaner on the coils. I have not seen any water in the air intake yet.

Thank you all so much for the replies.