2 ton unit with a 2.5 ton compressor???

Old 03-29-05, 01:42 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
2 ton unit with a 2.5 ton compressor???

hi all,

i'm looking into purchasing a central a/c unit. the house is 1750 sq ft.

i was told a 2 ton unit would be required for my home. the contractor has offered me a 2 ton unit and has given me the option to have either a 2 ton scroll compressor or a 2.5 ton scroll compressor installed with the 2 ton unit (same price for either)

is there an advantage or disadvantage to going with a 2.5 ton scroll compressor on a 2 ton unit? i haven't been able to find any info on this on the internet. is this even possible?

pleaase help...

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-05, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

If I have this right I would not go that way at all. Now if he said a 2 ton compressor on a 2.5 ton coil Id look into it and see if its ok to match them in the company that made them books. You do need 3 bids on any job like this.

ED .

Old 03-29-05, 01:57 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
why would you not go with this? is a 2.5ton compressor too much for a 2ton unit?

Old 03-29-05, 02:04 PM
Thumbs down

A coil puts out 2 ton 24,000 Btu .The compressor at 2.5 ton puts out 30,000 Btu. So why would you pay the cost to run a compressor that cant put out what it can????

ED

Old 03-29-05, 02:15 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
i'm not paying anything extra for the 2.5 ton scroll compressor. I just wanted to know if there was any advantage to having the 2.5 scroll compressor in a 2ton unit rather than the standard 2ton scroll compressor.

pardon my ignorance, but i just figured that since a 2.5ton compressor was built to handle a 2.5 ton unit it could and would easily handle the 2ton unit. so in theory, the 2ton a/c would have a better/stronger longer lasting compressor (since it using a compressor built for a 2.5ton unit)

does that make sense?

Old 03-29-05, 02:34 PM
Wink

The 2.5 compressor will work harder cost more to run. higher amps.Cause it cant put out the btu its made for. Also could be the coil is colder so it could turn on and off more and not get the humidity out of the home . That is the main thing that a AC has to do to make you feel good in summer
You dont say where you are are how long is summer there. Could be he has a very low SEER unit and just wants to dump it on some one. Short summer go for a SEER of 14 and a long summer go for a SEER for 16 on up to 19

ED

Old 03-29-05, 03:19 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
short summer here (3-4 mths). the norm around here are 10 seer a/cs. most dealers here tend to sell 10 seer products and 11 to 13 seer are considered mid level.

the offer is a 13 seer goodman with either a 2 ton compressor or a 2.5 compressor on the 2ton unit. so going with the 2.5 ton compressor would probably be pointless, even if he is offering it for the same cost?

appreciating your input... thanks

Old 03-29-05, 03:49 PM
Red face

Let me see if I understand. You have a home that is 1750 sq ft in living space. Is the AC you are interested in a replacement or an add-on? On the surface without knowing the particulars, a 2 ton AC seems undersized. I have never heard of placing a 2.5 ton rated compressor in a 2 ton condensing unit. Why would you want to do this? I would run just as fast as I can from this dealer and get several quotes from reputable dealers that include a written Manual J heat/cool load calculation for properly sizing equipment. You will also need a matching evaporator coil and check to see that your blower on furnace(assumption that you have a warm air furnace) is properly sized to handle the AC addition. Depending on how long you intend to live in this home, I would request a minimum 13-14 rated SEER. Obviously at the end of the day, your major purpose is satisfactory and efficient cooling for your home. Your HVAC dealer should also provide a thorough ductwork inspection particularly if the AC unit is an add-on. Just an opinion but I consider Goodman products budget/builder models on the low end. Get 3 written quotes that include Brand, model, size, and rated SEER for your application. Good Luck!

Old 03-29-05, 04:00 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
so far the dealers i've contacted have said i need a 2ton unit.

sears, quoted the following
kenmore 10 seer unit at $2400, freon, warranty 10yr parts, 10yr labor
carrier 10 seer unit at $2100, freon , 10, 5yr
carrier 11 seer unit $2600, puron, 10,5yr
carrier 13 seer unit $3000, puron, 10,5yr

the independent contractor quoted:
goodman 13 seer unit at $2100, freon, lifetime warranty (with a 2.5 ton comp)
armstrong 13 seer unit at $2000, freon, 10,5yr

we're planning on staying here between 7-10 yrs

Old 03-29-05, 04:27 PM
Red face

As long as you have correct information, then you can make an informed decision.

Several questions......

1.Have any of the dealers provided a written manual J heat/cool load calculation to verify and properly size the AC condensing unit? This is a must! It protects the consumer and the dealer. An oversized/undersized unit is nothing but a problem.
2.Is this AC unit a replacement or an add-on?
3.Either way, have the quoting dealers verified that your blower is properly sized to handle the AC condensing unit?
4.Have the dealers included a matching and properly sized evaporator coil?
5. Has your ductwork been inspected for air conditioning?
5.My opinion is that R-22 refrigerant will be around a long time and is not an issue. R-22 is fine and do not pay more for Puron(R-410) condensing units..

Again, I would look at a minimum 13-14 SEER with the strongest warranty and I would not purchase from Sears/Home Depot regardless of brand! Use authorized dealers. Good Luck!

Old 03-29-05, 05:01 PM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
1.Have any of the dealers provided a written manual J heat/cool load calculation to verify and properly size the AC condensing unit?

Not yet.

2.Is this AC unit a replacement or an add-on?

new home installation

3.Either way, have the quoting dealers verified that your blower is properly sized to handle the AC condensing unit?

thanks will do

4.Have the dealers included a matching and properly sized evaporator coil?

i assume so

5. Has your ductwork been inspected for air conditioning?

new home standard

Old 03-30-05, 05:56 AM
If you put a 2.5 ton condensor on a 2 ton coil you will not get 13 seer and you will shorten the life of the compressor. If it was the other way around and they were putting a 2 ton condensor on a 2.5 ton coil with a txv then you would probably get the 13 seer and maybe even better.

Also. how in the world can they offer a lifetime warranty on a Goodman??

Old 03-30-05, 11:20 AM
da1nonly
Visiting Guest
so a 2.5 ton compressor, on a 2-ton condensor would actually be a benefit?

contractor said that they stand behind their products which is why they can put a life time warranty on it. (its not transferrable though, so i can't use that to as a selling point if i decide to put the home up for sale).

i still have to see it in writing before i commit, but this was a selling point for me.

i guess i should go with the 2.5 compressor on the 2ton unit then???

Old 03-30-05, 12:04 PM
Thumbs down

so a 2.5 ton compressor, on a 2-ton condensor would actually be a benefit?
What you are calling things here is not right. Now the compressor is inside the condensor unit which is the outside unit of an AC set up.The other part is the evaporator coil and this is inside the home. To put a 2 ton coil on a 2.5 ton compressor unit. You sure will pay for it in the electric it will use.

ED

Old 03-30-05, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What Ed said +

As far as I know, Goodman or nobody else, sells a 2 Ton condensing (outdoor)unit with a 2.5 Ton compressor. A 2 ton outdoor unit will have a 2 ton compressor. It is quite common to put a 2.5 ton evaporator (part of the indoor unit) on a 2 ton outdoor unit. Many manufacturers do this to increase the SEER rating of a system. A lot of people say a lot of bad things about Goodman but I think the brand gets a bad rap. The vast majority of the problems I see are DIRECTLY related to the installation. Most of the time, there is not enough return ductwork. Goodman, being inexpensive, tends to attract the slob installers who just want to get the money & run. I put a Goodman (Janitrol) system in my own home about 10 years ago & other than routine maintenance, have done NOTHING to it.
I would also agree with TigerDunes regarding Sears or Home Depot. They do not do their own installations & sub to whomever will give them the lowest price. I strongly suggest you deal with an independent, preferably someone small yet has been in business for a number of years.

Old 03-31-05, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by da1nonly
so a 2.5 ton compressor, on a 2-ton condensor would actually be a benefit????
Sorry for the confusion. They are either going to sell you a 2 ton compressor/condensing unit or a 2.5 ton compressor/condensing unit and use one of them with a 2 ton coil.

I would not go the route of the 2.5 ton compressor/condensor with a 2 ton coil. If it was a 2 ton compressor/condensor on a 2.5 ton coil then yes I would go that route.

Grady is correct and I wasn't bashing Goodmans product. They do make a decent unit and if properly installed and maintained it will last a long time. I've just never heard of any contractor offering a lifetime warranty on a product.