AC Outdoor Unit Fan won't start

Old 04-02-05, 04:12 PM
deby
Visiting Guest
AC Outdoor Unit Fan won't start

When I switch on the AC from the thermostat switch, the outdoor unit fan does not start. However I hear the humming noice in the outdoor unit (probably of the compressor). As a result there is no cold air coming into the house. However if I push start the fan manually, then is starts rotating normally and the cooling effect is normal. Why is that each time I have to push start the outdoor unit fan? I have not used the AC for about 4 winter months. I noticed this problem when I started using the unit again this summer.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
deby

Based on the fact the fan will start when you turn it by hand, I would say there is a strong probability the capacitor is bad. It is a simple repair if you want to do it.

Old 04-02-05, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dont let the AC run with out that fan. Id turn it off till you get the capacitor.

ED

Old 04-02-05, 06:12 PM
deby
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

My outdoor unit is "American Standard". Do I have to remove the fan assembly to replace the capacitor? Is there a generic capacitor or is it model specific?

Old 04-02-05, 07:01 PM
Sounds like it's the capacitor, turn on the unit as you would normally, if the fans doesn't start up try spinning the fan by hand (BE VERY CAREFUL IN CASE THE FANS BEGINS TO RUN), if the fan starts up then it's a very good chance it's the capacitor that went bad..
you can also check the capacitor with an ohms meter to see if it's indeed a bad capacitor..

Old 04-03-05, 07:02 AM
Just pull the disconnect from the wall, remove the service cover from the unit and it should be in there. It will look like a small tin can with a few wires attached to it. Before touching it you will want to short its terminals together with an insulated screwdriver to discharge it.

** Make sure you've pulled the disconnect out before working in the electrical area.**

Old 04-05-05, 06:32 PM
deby
Visiting Guest
I bought a oval matching capacitor. It says "Motor Run Capacitor". Is there a seperate Fan Capacitor?
The one I bought matches for the Shape(oval), MFD(4) and Voltage (370).

Old 04-05-05, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Run cap

The one you bought would be for the fan motor. Make sure the power going to the unit is dead, replace the capacitor, & give it a try. Post back with results.

Old 04-06-05, 08:01 PM
deby
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I replaced the capacitor with a new one. The AC works perfect. The fan in the outdoor condenser unit rotates normally each time without any push. Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-07-05, 09:14 AM
Glad you got it going. Stick around and visit our other forums.